We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sedatives, what's available?

Sanctuary Point...
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Topic
Sedatives, what's available?

I am going to Phuket in May and I would like to if possible purchase strong sedatives over there.

Does anyone know if I can just go to a chemist and buy them over the counter?

If so what would I need to ask for?

And approx price please, I am not after large quantities ie: 4 or 5 boxes, just the one to help with sleep on the flight back home and to help me sleep after I et home because of time difference.

TIA Helen

East Maitland...
Level Contributor
128 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sedatives, what's available?

I can't answer your questions but I thought I'd mention I bought some Valium over the counter from a small pharmacy in Patong in November, I can't remember how much it cost, but not much at all. I bought it intending to take it for the flight home then I read that It's illegal in Thailand to carry Valium without a prescription so I tossed it and also when we got to Sydney airport they asked us if we had brought back any medication such as sleeping pills etc so I assumed it was also a no-no to bring them back into Aus.

sydney
Destination Expert
for Cambodia
Level Contributor
17,200 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sedatives, what's available?

gosh Helen ... 4 or 5 boxes? ... how long do you want to sleep when you get home? We have never had any problems sleeping when coming home from SE Asia - the time zones are not that different.. europe was a diffrent matter but it only took a couple of days and no drugs needed

Sanctuary Point...
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Sedatives, what's available?

No you read that wrong I said I don't want to buy large quantities like 4 or 5 boxes just the one box will be fine. Sorry maybe I wrote it wrong

But I need very strong sedatives to put me out not very many work on me LOL

Cheers

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sedatives, what's available?

Illegal

Sanctuary Point...
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Sedatives, what's available?

Thanks Slyvie, I was only asking

Cheers

Level Contributor
51 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sedatives, what's available?

If only people with children thought like you during flights!

Sanctuary Point...
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Sedatives, what's available?

So glad My kids are old enough to leave behind they're 22 & 25. And one of the reasons we fly business, no kids. I must admit though when we flew economy and we saw parents with young kids, I would look at my watch thinking its going to be a very loooong flight, but to my surprise didn't hear a peep from them and that included an 12 month old.

Actually come to think of it there were children in business class last time and they were very well behaved. It was the older gentleman who decided to great drunk and chat up anyone in a skirt that was obnoxious. Oh and not to mention the person behind me with really bad foot odour, I got that fragrant aroma everytime he/she moved UGHHHHH

Vancouver
Level Contributor
3,713 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Sedatives, what's available?

Could you not get a prescription for sedatives from your own doctor before you leave on your trip? If you carry a written prescritpion with the medication, you should not encounter any problems in Thailand.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Sedatives, what's available?

Well, when I went to the local Doctor, he gave me rohypnol like they were asprin. Don't know if you can get them over the counter, but I wouldn't be surprised. Other medicine I need a script for at home was available over the counter in Phuket.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
747 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Sedatives, what's available?

Time difference is only 3 or 4 hrs depending on daylight savings so that shouldn't be a problem.

I have used sedatives in the past being a shift worker and now steer well clear of them due to all having some type of side effect. Sure the chemist will give you what you want but i would consult a doctor here.