We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

I'm in kata and want to island hop as a 30-something

Edinburgh...
4 posts
Save Topic
I'm in kata and want to island hop as a 30-something

Hey

Just wondering where you may suggest to visit that has lovely beaches and some of the backpacking vibe, without the younger, full-moon-type super partying atmosphere.

I'm cool to go virtually anywhere, but considered Phi Phi, Samui, Tao, then out of Bangkok - am I going to te wrong places??

Cheers

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,400 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: I'm in kata and want to island hop as a 30-something

Hi,

What about the north east coast of Koh Phangan ? However, please do state what time of the year you plan on visiting.

Edinburgh...
4 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: I'm in kata and want to island hop as a 30-something

Great! What's it like there??

I'm in Kata now and have a couple weeks to navigate myself up to catch my flight out of Bangkok. Phuket to Bangkok, effectively

Thanks for any info!! :)

Edinburgh...
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: I'm in kata and want to island hop as a 30-something

Oh, maybe I should say that I'm not super chilled and anti-drinking/parties.

I'm female solo traveller and want to enjoy Thailand for all it's scenery, but may like a bit of a buzz about a place rather than just utter serene tranquility - I'd drive myself insane! :)

Thanks again

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,832 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: I'm in kata and want to island hop as a 30-something

Definitely go over to Phi Phi for at least a night, or even a few more. I also liked Ko Tao as well.

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,400 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: I'm in kata and want to island hop as a 30-something

Hi Anna,

At Thong Nai Pan Yai there are places to drink (and eat) but nothing too wild. The beach is wonderful ! If you decide to head that way check out the longtail resort:

www.longtailbeachresort.com

I tried accessing the above link a few minutes ago but couldn't. Cheaper and a few meters inland are the Bamboo Bungalows and this is where many backpackers stay.

Campbell, CA
Level Contributor
23 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: I'm in kata and want to island hop as a 30-something

Sorry, but this "backpacking vibe, without the younger, full-moon-type super partying atmosphere" seems to be a contradiction. I've never seen one without the other. Even Phi Phi is becoming a party island. The beach bars are loud and stay open quite late, so any hotels near by will surely suck if you want to sleep.

Having said that, I still think Phi Phi is worth a visit.

Another option is Railey Beach in Krabi. It's not an island, but since it's only accessible via boat, it feels like it. It has a nice beach and laid back atmosphere.

The next town over is Ao Nang. It is nice, less chaotic than just about any beach in Phuket, but still has plenty of daily excursions to the nicer beaches like that on Koh Poda, or Koh Tub (very small).

A little farther south is Koh Lanta and is quieter still. I don't think the beaches there are all that nice because the waves tend to be a bit bigger, but there are some spots.

North of Phuket, I think the Similan Islands are a must for anyone who likes to dive or snorkel. But its remote location make it very quiet.

Heading north and on the east coast, you might want to check out Koh Samui. It's definitely a backpacker destination.

Edinburgh...
4 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: I'm in kata and want to island hop as a 30-something

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

Yeah, I did wonder if I was hoping for too much by having a mid-point for the type of atmosphere!

Do any of you know the base rate for a boat from Phuket town to phi phi?

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: I'm in kata and want to island hop as a 30-something

Ko Lipe is a backpacker must see . South of Ko Lanta.

Campbell, CA
Level Contributor
23 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: I'm in kata and want to island hop as a 30-something

The ferry is around 300 THB from Phuket to Phi Phi.

After every trip, I regret not writing this stuff down. Just this month, I made this trip, but I can't tell you for sure the exact price, but I know 300 is in the ballpark.

I do remember that once on the boat, a guy will come around and ask you if you have a hotel or return ticket. The price he quoted us for the return ticket (actually forward ticket to Krabi) was 100 baht more than that we got on Phi Phi. Also, the taxi from the Krabi pier to Ao Nang was cheaper at the pier's taxi stand by 100 baht than what we were quoted as well.

10. Re: I'm in kata and want to island hop as a 30-something

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 March 2014, 04:18