We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just came back from Merlin Resort Khao Lak. Be warned!

SF
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Just came back from Merlin Resort Khao Lak. Be warned!

I unfortunately had a negative experience during my stay at the Merlin Resort. I made the reservation through AsiaRooms.com. Upon my check in, I was given an invoice of the total charge by the front desk staff. The total charge was double of what AsiaRooms.com had originally quoted me. I presented a copy of the confirmation e-mail I received from AsiaRooms.com to the head front desk staff, Ms. Orawan. After looking at it for 2 minutes, she told me that I had to contact AsiaRooms.com myself and that they could not help me. I asked if they can call the agency for me and she said that I can use the phone in my room (the hotel charges 33 baht per minute). I found this to be expensive so I opted instead to e-mail AsiaRooms.com. After buying a card to use the internet from Ms. Orawan, I then asked where their internet was located and she just said “there.” After locating their internet, I had to find someone to help me turn on the computer as I was not given any instructions. Overall, I found Ms. Orawan’s attitude to be very unprofessional. I was not expecting the hotel to resolve the problem for me but I would have appreciated some help from the front desk staff. I was very surprised to receive such a cold reception and to experience such an unprofessional service from the staff since I’ve read some positive reviews about the hotel from Tripadvisor.com and AsiaRooms.com. AsiaRooms.com was helpful on the other hand and replied to my e-mail immediately. Also, the restaurant staff at Merlin Hotel was at least very nice. They should have them work at the front desk instead since they were a lot friendlier and helpful than Ms. Orawan and her associate. The hotel was nice but be warned; don’t expect any assistance from their front desk staff if you have any problems!

Mentioned in this post
Patong Merlin Hotel
Patong Merlin Hotel
1,817 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Trisara
Trisara
#2 of 35 hotels in Choeng Thale
Amari Phuket
Amari Phuket
#2 of 336 hotels in Patong
Andara Resort and Villas
Andara Resort and Villas
#1 of 36 hotels in Kamala
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,227 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just came back from Merlin Resort Khao Lak. Be warned!

How was your problem resolved and who was at fault

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Just came back from Merlin Resort Khao Lak. Be warned!

what was the out-come regarding the price?

how did the rest if your holiday go,regarding the hotel?

New Zealand
Level Contributor
284 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Just came back from Merlin Resort Khao Lak. Be warned!

I am considering staying at this resort in October. Can you answere me a few questions. Are the rooms nice in your opinion. Is there good pool beach flow with loungers in both pool and beach areas. In your opinion what would be the best area/location and room type to pick. Thanks for your help.

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just came back from Merlin Resort Khao Lak. Be warned!

Was Asiarooms at fault,did they give you a dodgy price?

North American East...
Level Contributor
212 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just came back from Merlin Resort Khao Lak. Be warned!

I would think that Asiarooms.com must have resolved the issue, otherwise the OP would not have considered them helpful. I think the property, on the other hand, should be given a brickbat for its complete lack of professionalism in dealing with a situation that they themselves seemed to have created. When you book with an online agency, you are almost always sent a "voucher" or a confirmation with a unique reference number attached to it. In my many years of booking internet travel, I've never had a hotel question my voucher or the rate associated with it. The response, or lack thereof, from the front desk was unacceptable. I'm afraid I would have stood firm and have them contact Asiarooms. Why should you be out of pocket for the hotel's reluctance to accept a rate that they themselves must have negotiated with Asiarooms and probably other hotel consolidators.

I recently found myself in a situation where I wished to prolong a stay at a hotel for which I had a very good rate booked through Asiarooms. The front desk readily admitted they couldn't offer me a price anywhere near what I paid, but acknowledged I could get a much better rate through a travel agent, which is what I did. I appreciated their candor and honesty. Unfortunately, it appears the front desk staff at the Merlin resort don't share these attributes.

Mentioned in this post
Patong Merlin Hotel
Patong Merlin Hotel
1,817 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Just came back from Merlin Resort Khao Lak. Be warned!

it appears the front desk staff at the Merlin resort don't share these attributes

-----------------------------------------------------

thats if oxumsf,s post is to be beleived

Mentioned in this post
Patong Merlin Hotel
Patong Merlin Hotel
1,817 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,227 posts
223 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just came back from Merlin Resort Khao Lak. Be warned!

My concern is that we havent had a response back yet. The implications raised can have significant impacts on both the hotel and asiarooms. Oxunsf's attitude may also have contributed to the problem at the front desk. I hope we get answers to our queries

SF
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just came back from Merlin Resort Khao Lak. Be warned!

To beanb4, andy53, and john07:

When I made the reservation through asiarooms.com, I provided them with my credit card info but it was not clear to me whether it was going to be charged or they only needed it to guarantee my reservation. Therefore, I was concerned when I saw the disparity of charges on the invoice that the front desk staff gave me upon my arrival. Asiarooms.com immediatly replied to my e-mail and assured me that my credit card would be charged the amount that they have quoted me (a good price given that it was low season).

Overall, I did not let this experience to ruin my vacation and I still had a very relaxing time during my stay at Merlin Resort. I also e-mailed Merlin Resort regarding this situation and they aplogized about it. I don't think anyone was at fault and that it was a matter of miscommunication. However, it was unfortunate that the front desk staff at Merlin Resort was poorly trained when handling such situations. I'm sorry to say that it had nothing to do with the language barrier; the front desk staff I have encountered was rude!

Mentioned in this post
Patong Merlin Hotel
Patong Merlin Hotel
1,817 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
SF
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just came back from Merlin Resort Khao Lak. Be warned!

I just wanted to add that I am in the customer service profession myself so I am very aware of how I should conduct myself. I did not say nor do anything to provoke such discourteous treatment from the front desk staff. I just wanted help in resolving the problem.

UK
Level Contributor
2,435 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just came back from Merlin Resort Khao Lak. Be warned!

Even i fyou wer eupset etc then there is no excuse for this attitud eof Hotel staff. It appears they hav eforgotten clinets make paydays possible .Hope you get it resolved Gerlis