We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is wrong with Cash

Canberra
Level Contributor
127 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
What is wrong with Cash

What is wrong with taking cash, other then losing it.

Dont most if not all hotels have a safe or safty deposit boxes for guest use.

so the only place you have to worry about, is from home to the hotel.

Then you have very little to no extra hidden charges to worry about.

Any thoughts, from any body.

Cheers

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: What is wrong with Cash

I tend to use/carry cash in Thailand. I don't carry it in my wallet in my back right pocket, mind you. But I am not really concerned about about being robbed. And pick pocketing here - is unusual (that is my experience anyway). Frankly, I feel much safer here than in my home country.

My home is on Phuket, but for the last few years I have earned my living off the island, and usually outside the country. This usually involves bringing my wages home with me in cash.

If I was leaving cash in a hotel safe I would put it in a small lockable pouch. Nothing particularly secure - as much as something to make tampering obvious and slightly more difficult.

KME
ACT, Australia
Level Contributor
172 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is wrong with Cash

I would take cash with you.

Whenever I have travelled with my family (he he he) My husband usually takes care of it all and he does a wonderful job. I find travellers cheques to be painful

Cheers

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is wrong with Cash

I take cash and 2 ATM cards and keep one card in the safe.Travellers Cheques are a thing of the past and requires your passport,which i don't like carrying around.

Wellington, New...
Destination Expert
for Wellington, Bay of Islands
Level Contributor
10,048 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is wrong with Cash

I took cash and my Credit card with me. I changed NZ dollars into Thai Baht and US dollars before leaving, but I found that I had I brought NZ currency I would have got a better exchange rate than at home and wouldnt have had to pay bank exchange charges. The Money changers take just about all currencies. I used the hotel safe for bulk and drew out what I needed and when I needed it.

Mike from Wellington.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
468 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: What is wrong with Cash

Hi Miwe

I stayed in Phuket for two weeks and withdrew farely large sums of money from the ATM's three times. This way l didnt have that much money to carry around. I put a quarter of it in my purse and the rest in the bottom of my handbag.

For my three withdrawals l was charged just $5 each. $15.00 isnt that much to pay for peace of mind.

Murf

6. Re: What is wrong with Cash

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 August 2009, 18:20