We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel help

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
165 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel help

30 something couple heading to Phuket for 3 days. First time to the area. Looking for luxury beachfront . Spend up to 400 per night . Want to be close enough to nightlife to just jump in taxi

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,372 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel help

If you don't mind Taxi to nightlife looks at Merlin beach resort.

Or walk to nightlife, beach front resorts in patong, look at Impianna, or La Flora

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
3,673 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel help

$400 US a night will get you good digs. Amari Coral Resort comes to mind.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel help

Amari Coral is a lovely hotel and right on the beach, but it is not a sandy beach or a beach for swimming in (too rocky, though there is snorkelling off the pier). Deluxe rooms are nice enough and afford a lovely view, but are not truly luxurious. The resort itself is very pleasing, and a level up on most hotels in Patong, but it's not 5 star. You can easily walk to Patong and it's sandy beach and nightlife.

Merlin Beach resort is a lovely hotel, but also suffers from a rocky beach (nicer beach a short walk away), has little on it's doorstep, and is more family orientated than "luxury". Great pools.

La Flora and Impiana are luxury resorts, esp la Flora, but they are located on Patong beach itself, a beach which does not really fit the description of "luxury beachfront". The beach itself is nice enough, but is a little spoiled by jet skis and parasailers and an ugly streetscape behind you. But if nightlife and shopping is a priority, Patong is the best place to stay. Consider also Diamond Cliff resort. I'm yet to check it out but it looks the biz, especially in one of the better rooms.

I'd be looking at Kata/Kata Noi beach. Consider an ocean view villa at "The Shores" (part of Katathani, Kata Noi beach), or a nice suite at Mom Tri's. Katathani will give you a tropical resort feel to your stay, and is only about 20 minutes taxi from all the nightlife in Patong, or a few minutes to some nightlife in Kata. Mom Tri's is boutique and more romantic, but you don't get resort sized pools and grounds.

If you don't mind a big, regular resort type hotel, check out Centara Grand Karon, or Movenpick in Karon. Quality places. Karon is only 10 minutes taxi to Patong. Both have luxurious rooms available. Karon beach is a nice long stretch of sand and usually has more waves than the beaches either side of it.

Tbh, I think you would be most happy with a hotel in the Laguna area, or even further north. This is where true luxury hotels abound. But there's not a lot of nightlife, and Patong would be 35 minutes away. Travelling 35 minutes when going out back home is nothing, but for some reason it really annoys me in Phuket.

Edited: 08 April 2013, 10:15
Tampa, Florida
Level Contributor
320 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel help

Le Meridien is really nice and is on its own private beach. It's only a 10-15 min tuk tuk ride to Patong where the action is. We are in our 30's and stayed in a Junior Suite ($280 - $450 a night depending on time of year.) I wouldn't say it was LUXURY but I am picky and I loved it. The Shores does look really nice but is more like $800 and up a night.

5. Re: Hotel help

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 April 2014, 07:17