We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Metered Taxi Phuket Airport Scam

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Metered Taxi Phuket Airport Scam

Just a heads up, recently back from a great trip to Thailand and when we arrived at Phuket Airport we did the usual turn right head to the metered taxi stand and the bloke wanted 750 baht wouldn't budge, wouldn't get me a metered taxi ( pay 100 baht at airport then the meter) the signs are up it should all be working yet it wasn't going to happen.

Just another example of Thais in Phuket running a scam wherever they can, how hard would it be for govt to have a few wardens there to keep these blokes honest.

Just thought I'd share for future travellers

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,976 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Metered Taxi Phuket Airport Scam

Thanks for letting us know. It is a shame to hear that the meter taxis are also jumping on the bandwagon. :-(

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Metered Taxi Phuket Airport Scam

Thanks for the warning and as you say it's a pity the authorities aren't doing anything about this.

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Metered Taxi Phuket Airport Scam

What time of day? After about 10pm the office shuts, so they become there own boss.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Metered Taxi Phuket Airport Scam

Hi, this was about 2pm

Clearly they have decided to join forces with the rest of the mob that hound you before you are even outside the airport, Phuket airport really is terrible upon arrival and the departures section is far too small given current tourist numbers but that's another issue!

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,693 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Metered Taxi Phuket Airport Scam

Thanks for that. Am now glad that I booked with Phuket shuttle in June as I have always got a taxi.

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Metered Taxi Phuket Airport Scam

krich, the Airport Terminal is being expanded at the moment. Hopefully it will help alleviate the congestion problem, but not sure if the Taxi one will ever be solved.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,396 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Metered Taxi Phuket Airport Scam

It's only a rort if you're not in on it.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,476 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Metered Taxi Phuket Airport Scam

I would not call this a scam BTW as it is not cheating people, you know in advance how much it is going to be.

I wish they would use the meters though.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Metered Taxi Phuket Airport Scam

Wow That's the first time i have heard of that,

We were charged 600 Baht last September but we arrived around midnight so you kind of expect it.

We have been stopped 10M from the meter taxi stand by touts holding a sign saying meter taxi but they were not from the stand at the end.

I would be interested to hear if anyone else has had the same experience.

Cheers, Pete

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
5 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Metered Taxi Phuket Airport Scam

Touts were throwing out 800-900 Baht to head to Patong we just laughed, ended up paying 650 just disappointing that the metered taxis appear to have had the pressure applied by the group that runs the taxi racket, all part and parcel of a Phuket holiday though!