We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

JBR April 3 to April 10

Melbourne
Level Contributor
351 posts
71 reviews
Save Topic
JBR April 3 to April 10

Phuket was the last stop on our 3 week visit. Our trip started in Singapore. Arrived there on a flight with Scoot, have no complaints at all with them, we left Sydney 10 mins early and got in about 15 mins ahead of schedule. We stayed overnight there at the Marina Bay Sands in the Grand Orchid Suite, great hotel but due to its size does lack any personal service or attention. Next day we left for 5 days each in Siem Reap and Chiang Mai. A hectic 10 days so a week to relax and recover from our hectic, non stop prior 10 days was welcome. This was our 5th visit to Phuket and once again had a lovely time. We booked Panya to pick us up from the airport, sadly we didn't get to see him, sent an alternative driver to collect us. Transfer was smooth and we were quickly dropped off at our hotel. We this time elected to stay at the Burasari in an Elite pool access room, our normal choice is the Patong Merlin, unfortunately they do not sell pool access rooms if you have children under 12 staying in them. We were absolutely not at all sorry with our choice. The Burasari is a wonderful hotel and still in the same vicinity as the Merlin and would not hesitate to stay here again. The rest of the afternoon was spent relaxing in and by the pool before we made our way back to our favourite haunt, The Dolphin Bar for a few cool drinks, a couple of games of pool and a bite to eat, they have one of the nicest massaman curries I have tasted anywhere.

Sadly, there are still numerous touts with illegally obtained wildlife trolling the bars looking for the ignorant, uneducated who think its great to have your photo taken with these unfortunate animals who end up in their hands. In fact it was the worst I have seen in the last five trips, there seems to be so many of them :(. Why there are not large signs posted at the airport advising incoming tourists that this in fact an illegal activity and to refrain from having your photo taken i can't understand, clearly not a bit interested in stamping out this abhorrent trade or practice!

Spent quite a bit of time on the beach this time, we'd not had the chance to do this on past trips as we were always busy with day trips etc. I was shocked at the amount of rubbish that you have to wade through when entering the water. Patong is our favourite place to stay, love the atmosphere and busyness of it, however, Kata and Karon have far nicer beaches if you want to swim.

During our stay I did head off daily for massages, can't imagine going to Phuket and not having them, each one was great. Also went to Jungceylon for a couple of facials, also great!

A week goes too fast and before we knew it, it was time to pack and head back to airport to come home :(. Travelled back to Singapore with Jetstar to pick up our Qantas flight. Used FF points for the return journey and flew business, have to say, on an overnight flight business class certainly is the way to go.

Love Phuket so much have already booked a trip back in October/November this year. :)

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,941 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: JBR April 3 to April 10

Hey Bams, nice report, agree 100% re the animals and photos, I dont think they really care about stamping it out either. We went Business Class with Singapore Airlines and came home Business with Malaysia Airlines and used points, would be nice to always travel like that haha, now madly accruing points to do it again maybe in 2015 lol.

Cathy

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
4,001 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: JBR April 3 to April 10

Great trip report although really sorry to hear that there are more wildlife touts around Patong. :-( I really wish that people would not go for those photo opportunities.

Otherwise the weather is switching towards low season now with the winds bringing in more rubbish. Yesterday we cleaned the southern end of Karon beach and from the beach alone we brought in bags of rubbish. Sadly not one of the locals who make money off this part of the beach offered to help.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
351 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: JBR April 3 to April 10

yes business is certainly the way to travel, sadly can't do it every trip, and am madly saving more points, need them for next years trip to the USA and Europe. I'm happy to fly economy over but will definitely come back a little closer to the pointy end of the aircraft.

Regards the photo ops with the animals, I probably should have just held my tongue and minded my own business but couldn't help myself, I did happen to mention to some English tourists that were lined up with their 4 children that what they were doing was not only illegal but also disgusting, and did say to the tout that I'll get the authorities on to him, he promptly grabbed his gibbon and left before they all managed to get a pic, was abused by the father but was happy that I had managed to do something.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,496 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: JBR April 3 to April 10

Thanks for the report and good on you for sticking up for the poor Gibbon.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,375 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: JBR April 3 to April 10

Thanks for a great report, glad you enjoyed your trip again

Its hard for people not to think about the poor animals plight that are used for photos. Hopefully slowly, it will become less profitable as people become more educated

Michelle

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,916 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: JBR April 3 to April 10

BAM! my initials!!

Thanks for sharing! We love the location of the Burasari!

There was a poor baby Gibbon being taken about in February. Some silly sausage wanted his photo taken with it, and the Gibbon bit him, which I thought was ironic! We never, ever, ever have our photos, it is what happened to them to get into the hands of these guys, as baby Gibbons don't normally fall out of trees!

'Thanks again!

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,819 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: JBR April 3 to April 10

Hi bam

thanks for a gr8 and detailed JBR I enjoyed reading it all

I always feel sad for those poor animals getting paraded around for photos, its sickening :(

ah! business class now that would be good, especially on those overnight flights!

thanks again for sharing and happy countdown to Oct/Nov

cheers

mossy :)

Melbourne
Level Contributor
351 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: JBR April 3 to April 10

Hi travellingmitch, I think that's called Karma!!

During our 2011 trip we did have the opportunity to go to the Gibbon rehab facility at Bang Pae Waterfall and to find out that sometimes whole families are wiped out to get that baby that these low life's parade around with. If only people were a little more educated they may rethink their decision to have that holiday snap taken.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
46 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: JBR April 3 to April 10

haha, biting the man!!

good report, thanks.

10. Re: JBR April 3 to April 10

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 April 2014, 07:17