We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Go with REPUTABLE boat operators please!

Kailua-Kona, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,158 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Go with REPUTABLE boat operators please!

Even if it means paying more certainly better than loosing a leg.

phuketwan.com/tourism/…

Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Go with REPUTABLE boat operators please!

What a horrific thing to happen, I don't think we can repeat it enough on here to go with reputable companies but a lot of people just book on site without getting any info.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,010 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Go with REPUTABLE boat operators please!

How do tourists know who is reputable? Without a properly regullated and licenced system for boats, captains and drivers that is supervised and enforced, tourists rely on booking what is on offer.

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Go with REPUTABLE boat operators please!

Hi

Agree with Arandora. Also not every tourists/ travellers knows about Trip Advisor.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,421 posts
388 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Go with REPUTABLE boat operators please!

Sadly many think about the buck and not the bang!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,010 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Go with REPUTABLE boat operators please!

Then the bang costs megabucks!!!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,390 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Go with REPUTABLE boat operators please!

Time and time we see this. I agree that not all tourist know who is reputable and who is not. But even on here many of us regularly say this, and people still choose the cheap one to save money

Michelle

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,656 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Go with REPUTABLE boat operators please!

>>But even on here many of us regularly say this, and people still choose the cheap one to save money<<

You mean to say that regardless of the repetitive marketing of PST on these forums, that people are still choosing cheaper tours?

You will never change human nature. It's not dissimilar to how people choose to fly with low cost budget airlines over full service airlines, to save a few bucks.

Cheers

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,390 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Go with REPUTABLE boat operators please!

Yes FP, I do sing PST's praises on here, as do many others, as they are who I have 1st experience with, and they are one of the reputable operators. At least its by experience I sing their praises, and not via Google experience,I am not sure why you worded this, in this way

Michelle

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
399 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Go with REPUTABLE boat operators please!

Im sure PST company is fantastic and Mark is wonderful "but" im sure there are other reputable/honest operators that can also be mentioned. It would be nice to have a list of tour operators so people have a variety of choice and if one company is booked out they can go to another. May-be even have it under FAQ.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,037 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Go with REPUTABLE boat operators please!

What guarantee when you go with a supposedly reputable firm that a dodgy operator doesn't crash into you anyway ? Plenty, like us, go cheap without incident. It's a numbers game. With so many boats and so many tourists, there are bound to be accidents. I think the best bet is when you go cheap, do not go really, really cheap. And as mentioned, do some research.

As for airlines (a quite dissimilar comparison really, as there's a fair bit of difference in the level of Government regulation of airlines and the regulation of these boats, not to mention the level of media attention given to airline accidents) there's nothing worse about the safety record of Air Asia or Jetstar compared to full price airlines. Southwest airlines, a budget airline which I've flown in the States, has a better safety record than Qantas. Fatality-free Qantas has a poor record of near misses over the last few years, with many planes turned back or forced to land. Thai airlines, a full priced airline, has a comparatively poor record for fatalities. In my opinion, at least when flying from Australia to Phuket, saving a few bucks (actually, it's a few hundred bucks. For each ticket.) is well worth the (statistically non-existent) risk. Saving $50 on a speedboat trip, that's an entirely different kettle of fish.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand