We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket, pros and cons?

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Phuket, pros and cons?

Hi,

I'm traveling to Thailand for the first time in December and a group of my friends want to stay there for three nights, some of my other friends who have been there have advised against this as they have heard bad things about Phuket. Would really appreciate some pro's and con's so that I can decide if I want to go.

Thanks!

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,436 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket, pros and cons?

To many pros and I can't think of any cons off the top of my head.

If you are from Dunedin you are probably a student. If so all you have to do is be sensible and everything will be fine.

I have been going to Phuket for years and am more than likely old enough to be your father and I think it a fantastic place.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,066 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket, pros and cons?

Hi there,

As Nairobi has said no many pro's and very few cons, if we know your age group and likes and dislikes we could answer your questions. I guess without knowing this its very difficult as this forum is generally for lovers of Phuket so the amount of negative feed back is minimal. Take a look at some of the FAQ'S to the right of the page and many of your questions will be answered but for myself and many many others here of this forum Phuket is an awesome place to visit.

Cheers, Pete

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
9,684 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket, pros and cons?

I'm just wondering what bad things your friends have heard. Can you let us know so we can tell you if they're correct or not. Thanks

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,763 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phuket, pros and cons?

The problem is that most people think Patong (which is perhaps where you friends may have heard bad things about) or the fact that the unprepared tourist may be ripped off [which is another thing the media have been good at showing], but there is much more to Phuket that Patong [which I think is a fun place actually] and unless you try you don't know! 3 days is not long!

What are the pros or cons that you are concerned about . . . .?

Perth
Level Contributor
457 posts
152 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phuket, pros and cons?

We are at the end of a two week trip to Thailand and are staying in Patong. Be sensible and read FAQ and keep a track on postings on this forum. Prices are cheaper than home but not as cheap as other parts of Thailand but I suspect that is because we are in Patong. This morning we were stopped by six lots of Caucasians claiming we had won a prize. This was in the space of 200m. We just kept on walking but some kept on trying. If anyone asks if you speak English, just walk on. Enjoy the beach and shopping.

australia
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phuket, pros and cons?

The PROS are in most of the massage places down the side streets

the CONS ride motorbikes and try & sell you Timeshare

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phuket, pros and cons?

Pros are it's value for money and I love the food and shopping, cons are taxi and tuk tuk driver mafia, the timeshare people only seem to target Aussies so never had a problem with them.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phuket, pros and cons?

I'm sure your friends were talking about the prostitution in Phuket. Lets not beat around the bush. Yes it's there,but it's not as sleazy as you might think. Phuket is big brash and a whole lot of fun. What ever your not into ,just stay away. And great answer hawk :)

Holstebro, Denmark
Level Contributor
94 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Phuket, pros and cons?

Pros: For a 3 day trip you have everything right there - you don't have to waste valuable time looking for it.

Cons: It's addictive.........

Christchurch, New...
Level Contributor
5 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Phuket, pros and cons?

Thanks a lot for the feedback, we're a group of students. The negatives I've heard are to do with Phuket being more expensive than the rest of Thailand (tourist trap) and a bit tacky and dirty at times. I'm thinking about spending a couple of nights in Ko Phi Phi as opposed to taking day tours from Phuket, does anyone think this would be a good/bad idea?