We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Diving in May/June in Phuket?

Toronto
Level Contributor
15 posts
Save Topic
Diving in May/June in Phuket?

Hi all,

Looking to spend 3 nights May 29-June 1 in southern part of Thailand. Thinking about Phuket, Khao Lak, and Koh Samui. We are interested in going for a day of scuba diving during that time.

From what I've read, seems like there could be lots of rain - particularly in Khao Lak, during that time, and diving excursions might be closed.

Can anyone give recommendations regarding where to go, and if diving excursions are still happening in Phuket, quality of the diving, etc? We are just beginners and would be going for the 12m dives. Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Kuala Lumpur...
Destination Expert
for Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
12,110 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Diving in May/June in Phuket?

When you are underwater, rain doesnt matter.

The problem is really to do with the waves going out and heading back.

I dive phuket during low season at least twice a year, and in some years 3-4 times. I have never had a cancelled dive so far, and except for one trip where the waves were very choppy, the rest were all sunny skies and flat seas. I guess I have been lucky :-)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
44,709 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Diving in May/June in Phuket?

No more rain generally in Khao Lak in May/June than Phuket. It's Wet Season for both. However, as maic says it is the ocean conditions for transfers that mostly governs whether dive trips run. The main areas of the Similan Islands, Koh Tachai and Surin Islands are closed not only for essential maintenance and coral recovery but also because the ocean conditions are considered too dangerous. Dive Centres in both Phuket and Khao Lak (see Tings to Do on both forums) will advise you.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Diving in May/June in Phuket?

Koh Samui would be less risk weatherwise and there are good dive sites in Koh Tao which you could do as day tours or stay over.

Mentioned in this post
Koh Tao
Koh Tao
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,931 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Diving in May/June in Phuket?

Best diving in the Andaman Sea, not Gulf of Thailand.

And yes, Similans are off limit but there are plenty of very good divesites available such as Racha Islands, Shark Point area, Bida Islands.

Mentioned in this post
Shark Point
Shark Point
39 Reviews
Ko Phi Phi Don, Thailand
5. Re: Diving in May/June in Phuket?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 May 2014, 05:18