We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visa overstay by a few hours

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
877 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Visa overstay by a few hours

Okay we have a bit of a dilemma. We arrive in Phuket at 7.30 pm on 9th September and leave at 10.00 pm on 9th Oct, so technically we will be just over our visa (if you count 7.30 on 9th Sept to 7.30 on 10th Sept as one day and so on) by a couple of hours and I figure if we go thru immigration by about 7pm we will be okay but friends who are coming with us are "freaking out". Even if it worked out that 9th Sept is day 1 we will be over by 1 day and I don't think it is worth getting a 60 day visa for this, just pay the overstay amount.

Has anyone else been I this position and what did you do about it? Thanks, Karen

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visa overstay by a few hours

No need to worry....if the worst comes to the worst you will be fined around 500 baht for 1 days overstay.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,951 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Visa overstay by a few hours

The visa exempty entry (and visa as well BTW) are counted in days, not hours. So with entry on the 9th of September you have to leave latest on the 8th of October. to stay within 30 days.

So you'll have 1 day overstay. Fortunately for you the pone day overstay is normally waived, if not you'll be asked to pay 500 baht per person.

However, more of a problem might the airline be on checkin. If they see you do not meet Thailand's entry requirement for a visa exempt entry you may be asked to show proof of onward airtravel or be refused boarding.

sydney
Level Contributor
33 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Visa overstay by a few hours

HI Kazallen,

We had the same problem as you and leave for Phuket in 9 more sleeps :) We had read all the info on visas and value the opinion of all DE but decided to apply for a tourist visa . We like to play it safe and the $45 each is just a small cost in a great value low season holiday. Have a great holiday in September.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,951 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Visa overstay by a few hours

Yes, a visa is the easiest way to prevent questions/problems about proof of onward travel.

New Milton, United...
Level Contributor
4,416 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Visa overstay by a few hours

if you return at the airport on overstay just a "fine"/bung under the table -if you get caught

the problem occurs if you get stopped by the so called "police" before you get to the airport ,then its a bit different

W Yorks
Level Contributor
203 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visa overstay by a few hours

I think if it were me I would obtain a tourist visa, as I would be worried about the airline not letting me bored. Last year when I flew to Bangkok with Emirates on a one way ticket, I was asked to show proof of leaving Bangkok within 30 days of arriving there. Now it could just be they were extra cautious with me as I was on a one way ticket, and if you have a return flight they don't even bother doing the maths, but I always think better to be safe than sorry.

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
7. Re: Visa overstay by a few hours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 08 May 2014, 05:17