We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

International licenses a must for Phuket car, bike rentals

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,013 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
International licenses a must for Phuket car, bike rentals

Phuket's Minister of Tourism and Sport has announced that "Tourists will need to have a valid international driver’s license to rent cars and motorbikes. .... This is for tourists’ own good, because they will be protected by law if they are in a road accident,” he explained.

At last a public acknowledgement of a government official of what has often been a contentious issue on this and other Thailand forums. See article at phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Tourism-M…

Now the logical thing would be for hirers to be made responsible for enforcing that. However, logic and enforcement are not two of Thailand's best characteristics.

Mentioned in this post
Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: International licenses a must for Phuket car, bike rentals

How about introducing B1,000 on the spot fines for not wearing a helmet,i reckon riders wearing helmets would rise from about 5% to 95% within days.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,013 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: International licenses a must for Phuket car, bike rentals

That already happens with spot checks.

Sanctuary Point...
Level Contributor
144 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: International licenses a must for Phuket car, bike rentals

My husband Rocco, got and international drivers permit yesterday at NRMA, it took about 15 mins, he needed to show his Australian drivers licence, had to have a passport photo no more than two years old and $39.00. Walked out 15 mins later with his IDP.

They are easy to get if you do it online it may take longer but if you go in with all necessary items there is no wait you get it on the spot

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: International licenses a must for Phuket car, bike rentals

Quote ~ "They are easy to get if you do it online..."

Use caution with online IDP agencies as most are scams.

From the Automobile Association of the Northern Territory

Internet IDP Warning

Counterfeit IDPs are being offered for sale on the Internet, usually at inflated prices. These forged IDPs are illegal and can get the holder into a great deal of difficulty with the traffic authorities in various countries.

In Australia only the Australian Automobile Association, through the State and Territory Motoring Clubs, is authorised to issue IDPs.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: International licenses a must for Phuket car, bike rentals

Saw plenty of europeans riding bikes yesterday without helmets, not shirts, and flip flops - disaster waiting to happen

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,960 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: International licenses a must for Phuket car, bike rentals

He can say what he wants, but will first have to change the law.

This is again a politician speaking out about something he is obviously not too familiair with.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,013 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: International licenses a must for Phuket car, bike rentals

I did say this was a controversial issue! Perhaps Steven you should contact the Minister and put him right before the Transport Department gets involved in what you deem to be unnecessary action.

MicknOlg

Not only Europeans ride around like that. You will see all nationalities, including Thais and Aussies, putting their lives at risk by wearing unsuitable attire and no helmets.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,960 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: International licenses a must for Phuket car, bike rentals

Not necessary, I don't see how this will not change in the foreseeable future.

I personally would be happy though if they start checking licenses, and make sure the people renting and riding motorbikes also have a license to ride a bike.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,013 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: International licenses a must for Phuket car, bike rentals

I think you are right about hires being given the responsibility but it is still an area of doubt and the least risk and inexpensive option is too obtain an IDP. We and others will continue to disagree with you on that until a definitive and official statement to the contrary is made or a link given to.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,437 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: International licenses a must for Phuket car, bike rentals

sorry I meant Farangs -- yeah the locals have been doing for years but most of them are very experienced riders and know the roads traffic etc and don't have to get flown home when injured