We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do you use the safe in your hotel room?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
77 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Do you use the safe in your hotel room?

Hi,

Thought I'd start a survey on how many of you actually use the safe in your hotel room. You know, for passport and such so I can leave things behind when I go on adventures for the majority of the day.

OR do you always have your passport with you at all time?

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
23,173 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do you use the safe in your hotel room?

Hi,

Very rarely do I use a safe in a hotel room. I much prefer to use one at the hotel reception and that is where my passport is left. However, I always carry a copy of my passport with me.

Prestwick, United...
Level Contributor
1,985 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do you use the safe in your hotel room?

We always use the safe for money, jewellery, tickets, and passports. Only time we take them out with us is if we hire a car.

lewes uk
Level Contributor
10,303 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do you use the safe in your hotel room?

Hi,

I nearly always use the in room safe if there is one and never had a problem. I used to carry my passport around - I had some great cargo trousers with internal zipped pockets and it lived there, but I have never been asked for it except at airports/borders etc so now I leave it in the safe.

cheers

perth
Level Contributor
20,294 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do you use the safe in your hotel room?

Hi

We always use the hotel room safe wherever we go. Never have any problem ( touch wood). Like above poster we always have a copy of passport with us.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,885 posts
163 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do you use the safe in your hotel room?

Yes, seems riskier to carry everything around with you

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,760 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Do you use the safe in your hotel room?

Like everyone else leave copies of passports at reception but have cash, travellers cheques etc in the room safe.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
10,631 posts
168 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do you use the safe in your hotel room?

Always use either the room safe or hotel safe but always use a sealable pouch inside the safe which will tell me instantly if it has been tampered with.

I got mine through work (I work on the hospitality industry) but you can get them elsewhere they are made by a company called envopak.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,208 posts
213 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do you use the safe in your hotel room?

I always use my hotel room safe. Last time I stayed at Centara Villas (on the hill), on my first day, the safe would not work. I called and apparently it was flat batteries which needed to be replaced. I had to sign a couple of forms with the date, time, etc. But this hotel is particularly security conscious. I have always used my hotel room safe in Hong Kong during my last 8 times there. I've never left anything at hotel reception and have never carried a copy of my passport in over 40 years of travelling. Why do you ask??

Edited: 18 May 2013, 20:46
Mentioned in this post
Centara Villas Phuket
Centara Villas Phuket
1,200 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Shanghai, China
Level Contributor
9,157 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Do you use the safe in your hotel room?

I am usually too lazy to use the safe. Most of the time my passport and ticket are in my unlocked suitcase or even completely open on the table.. Only if I keep cash in the suitcase I might lock it.

Never had a problem in 30+ years of very intensive business and private travelling.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do you use the safe in your hotel room?

We always use the hotel safe, leave our laptop, ipad etc out on the table on charge or whatever, never had a problem in 25 years of frequenting SEASIA on an annual basis.

I did note though when in Phuket last month that 2 robbers were caught walking out of a hotel with a safe....

Police crack spate of Phuket hotel robberies >>>

PHUKET: Police appear to have cracked the case of the hotel safe deposit box robber who stole the contents of room safes – and sometimes the safes themselves – from hotels in Patong, Karon and Kata over the past few months.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
Kata Beach
Kata Beach