We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question about hiring phuket private drivers

Singapore
Level Contributor
38 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Question about hiring phuket private drivers

Hi everyone, i'm planning to hire a private driver on my trip to phuket and have contacted a few of the highly recommended drivers. As it's my first time hiring a driver, i'd just like to check if the price that they have quoted me can be bargained down further. Thanks in advance!:)

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,365 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question about hiring phuket private drivers

Without knowing a price its hard to say. But my general answer would be no. If you have chosen from the list, then theses drivers are popular and have many people wanting their service.

In my experience the prices given have always been reasonable.

Michelle

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
4,382 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question about hiring phuket private drivers

I'd say Michelle is correct in that the driver will quote you a price based on what it is you'd like to visit and see. It's a fixed price, take it or leave it situation. The popular drivers have no need to discount their services.

Cheers.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
1,455 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question about hiring phuket private drivers

Would have to agree with Michelle and Fresh Prince theyhave no reason to discount their price.

Cheers

Lozza

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,888 posts
1,619 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question about hiring phuket private drivers

Yes prices from drivers like Panya were very reasonable and i think insulting to them if we bargain their prices.

Tommo

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
67 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question about hiring phuket private drivers

I have just booked Panya for a day in June to take 8 of us to various places including Karon and Kata beach viewpoints, Big Buddha, temple, Chalong Bay for lunch, elephant trek, cashew nut factory, and Phuket Town weekend markets for a very reasonable price. I specifically contacted him after reading his great reviews on TA, and wouldn't have even considered trying to get him to lower his price. His rate includes waiting for us when we go on the elephant rides, have lunch, and look around the markets.

Happy travels :)

Singapore
Level Contributor
38 posts
40 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question about hiring phuket private drivers

Hi guys, Thanks for the advice! I've tried making a booking with panya and Mano but unfortunately both of them are unavailable as they seem to have issues with the taxi mafia at the place I'm staying (Pullman hotel). Mano seems really nice though, he even provided me with information on the expected costs of tours and shuttle services with other drivers.

Level Contributor
3 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question about hiring phuket private drivers

Please keep in mind that the drivers here are mostly interested not in the transportation fees, which are a petty cash for them, but in the commissions they are getting for bringing you to most places - factories, shops, zoo, elephant trekking etc. etc. Many shops pay the driver even if you did not buy anything there, just for bringing you. Commissions from sales can reach 50%.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
747 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question about hiring phuket private drivers

You could always try to organize a pick up and drop off away from your hotel. If not negotiate with the drivers When there.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question about hiring phuket private drivers

Hi there - we just got back from Patong and had Lek drive us around quite a few time. He was fantastic....always on time, lovely air-conditioned car, great prices and a really nice guy who spoke english well. When he was unavailable he arranged for his friend Mr Bank to drive us, who was equally as good. I emailed him the number of hours or destination we wanted to go and he emailed me back a quote quite promptly. If you want to contact him his details are leklanden@hotmail.com.

Enjoy your trip!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Philippines, Kuala Lumpur
Level Contributor
22,888 posts
1,619 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question about hiring phuket private drivers

NeGrusti

You seem very negative. Do you have a better recommendations?

We didnt do any shopping at all with Panya and merely visited the tourist sites we researched. His rates were very reasonable.

Tommo