We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phang Nga - Worth the drive from Patong?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Phang Nga - Worth the drive from Patong?

Hey everyone,

My husband and I are going to Phuket for part of our honeymoon from the 30th may - 4th June.

We are staying at the Banthai in Patong.

I have a few questions in regards to Phang Nga.

We already intend on doing a Phang Nga bay tour however there is also two things in the Phang Nga area I'm interesting in seeing these are

Wat Suwannakhuna and

Wat Thamtapan

My questions are;

1. Is there anything else in the area that people would recommend seeing?

2. We are tossing up b/t Tuk tuk and hiring a motorbike (my husband has is IDL and full bike licence) which do people think would be better, if riding there easy are places hard to find?

3. any other advice people may have.

Cheers Zee

Simba Sea Trips
Scuba & Snorkeling, Boat Tours, Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Speed Boats Tours
Chai travel and Day Tour in Phuket
Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours
Phuket Best Tours
Private Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Taxis & Shuttles, City Tours, Speed Boats Tours
Phuket
Level Contributor
603 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phang Nga - Worth the drive from Patong?

I can certainly recommend doing a Phang-Nga Bay tour by boat . Going up to Phang-Nga province by tuk tuk is not a great idea , nor is renting a bike and heading all the way up there due to some fairly scary driving practices which the locals have perfected over the years .

Phuket has plenty of beautiful temples to visit - Wat Chalong & Wat Dy being just two of them not to mention the Big Buddha monument . These are all only a 25 minute drive from Patong as opposed to 1.30 Hours + to the temples located in Phang-nga province .

Giles - Offspray Leisure

Phuket Thailand
Level Contributor
3,461 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phang Nga - Worth the drive from Patong?

Hello Zee. I agree with all that Giles has said. If you still decide to go ahead with a road trip to Phang Nga I suggest you hire a car and driver for the day. Not expensive, much safer and no hassles about getting lost or whatever. There are several good drivers recommended here on TA.

Have a great honeymoon,

Mark.

Phuket Sail Tours.

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,944 posts
425 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phang Nga - Worth the drive from Patong?

I think if your in Phuket and have the time then a day trip to Phang Nga Town is a fantastic idea, we usually always drive there but I have been on the back of a Harley a few times to Phang Nga. I would not go by tuk tuk or small bike so hire a car, big bike or a private driver.

You could stop at Wat Manee Sri Mahathat on the main highway, very easy to see with a huge black monk statue, then go onto Wat Suwannakhuna, very beautiful with a series of connecting caves and a fantastic 15 meter reclining Buddha.

Then maybe have lunch in Phang Nga Town, after that go to Wat Thamtapan which is like no Temple I have ever seen before with displays & bigger than life size statues of what Hell might be like, there is also a Heaven section. Just amazing:)

If you have the chance to see these places then definately do it:)

Cathy

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
747 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phang Nga - Worth the drive from Patong?

Forget about a tuk tuk or scooter, hire a car, driver or big bike.

In April i spent 4 days riding a big bike all over Phang Nga seeing all of the sites and just exploring. Easy to find places or get directions if needed. Prices for a big bikes vary between 1800 to 5000 baht per day depending on the type of bike you want. If looking at this option pm me and ill send you contacts of places to hire.

Another option i came across but haven't done (yet) is a company that combines a road trip and long tail boat to Phang Nga bay easydaythailand.com/phuket/phang_nga_daytour… This looks like a great option or you could easily organize something like this yourself.

Have fun planning

Edited: 22 May 2013, 08:11
Qld
Level Contributor
175 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phang Nga - Worth the drive from Patong?

we too are very interested in seeing Wat Thamtapan temple (found that from reading reports thanks Cath & Gary) , Wat Suwanakhuna, also perhaps stop at Khao Phra Thaeo Nat Park along the way, would really like to find a local type village too around that area to sit and watch and perhaps eat there. It appears Heritage Trails do all this, but they are more than I really wanted to spend. We have been to James Bond Island a couple of times before so not fussed if we give that a miss, just want to see some beautiful scenery and enjoy the local culture. I have been getting feedback that the areas I have picked are not worth travelling all the way too. any help of drivers or guidance with this trip would be very much appreciated.!

6. Re: Phang Nga - Worth the drive from Patong?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 May 2014, 07:17