We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Songtaew "buses" around town

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
70 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Songtaew "buses" around town

Hi,

I'll be traveling to Phuket later this summer, and will be staying at Karon. I'm interested to find out more about Songtaew buses in the Patong and Karon areas.

I've been to Pattaya before and really enjoyed taking the Songtaews up and down the beach, and blending in with the locals. Plus, I like that it's the cheapest way to get around. I've read a lot about tuk tuks, but not too much about Songtaews in Patong or Karon. They must run on the main roads?

I've also read that there's one that would go from Karon to Phuket Town?

Does anyone have any insights on that?

Thanks!

K

Queensland...
Level Contributor
725 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Songtaew "buses" around town

Yes, you can get the blue baht bus from Karon or Kata into Phuket Town. Just flag one down and away you go, There are no songtheaws between Karon and Patong though. I also believe, if in Patong, you can catch one into Phuket Town also.

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
3,623 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Songtaew "buses" around town

The system in Pattaya is efficient and cheap. Patong and Karon do not have anything similar. As mentioned you can get the Baht Bus to Phuket Town, but there is nothing in between the beaches except Tuk Tuks and Taxis.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
396 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Songtaew "buses" around town

Hi All

I thought there was a bus service suppose to start sometime in May going between Patong-Karon-Kata? or have they cancelled this??

tks

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Songtaew "buses" around town

That service seems to have been delayed.

As others have said you can go from Kata / Karon into Phuke Town and local bus from Patong to Phuket town, but nothing like he Pataya B 10 songthaew system except for those that operate within Phuket Town area itself, but within Patong or between Patong and Kata / Karon, that requires tuk tuk fare .

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,964 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Songtaew "buses" around town

For an idea on price the trip from Kata/Karon to Phuket Town costs 30 baht. From Kata to the Karon circle the bus crawls at a snail pace trying to attract customers and after the circle it picks up a bit of speed.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
70 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Songtaew "buses" around town

Thank you for the info everyone!

It'd be so awesome if the Patong-Karon-Kata service will start running this summer because 300-400THB for a 10-15 minute ride sounds kinda crazy.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Songtaew "buses" around town

Highly unlikely, especially given the Patong Mayor's Son is the President of the taxi federation.

"Mayor Pian’s son, Preechawut “Prap” Keesin, is president of the Patong Taxi Federation, which includes a large number of the town’s tuk tuks."

http://www.thephuketnews.com/patong-mayor-to-‘talk-to-taxi-club’-about-phuket-bus-38143.php

Edited: 27 May 2013, 22:33
8. Re: Songtaew "buses" around town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2014, 06:17