We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Boat trips

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
87 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best Boat trips

Four of us are coming to Phuket in August, including a 13 and 15 yr old. I am also going to Koh Samai. Between the two places we want to pick one boat trip to do. Anthong Marine Park or Koh Phangan from Koh Samui or James Bond/Coral island or Phi Phi islands from Phuket. Any one done a couple of these trips? Which one would you go for? Looking for spectatular scenery and lovely white sand beach and where you get off the boat for breaks.

Also where trips say there is snorkelling or kayaking involved, are these activities safe and well monitored? None of us have done these things before.

Thanks. Grateful for any tips

Emma

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
70 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Boat trips

Hey Emma,

I'll be visiting Phuket in August as well, and have just booked a boat trip a few days ago. Phuket Sail Tours is one of the most popular and reputable choices out there. From what I've read, they are often booked out. You may find a handful of great reviews on TA.

They do day trips out to Phang Nga Bay, Phi Phi, and Racha Islands. You can read about the crew on their website. Prices-wise, they are not the cheapest. But given all the good reviews from TA travelers, prompt and thorough e-mail exchanges. I already find them very trustworthy. Captain Mark often comments on the forum as well.

PST related forum posts:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293920-i5037-k646…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293920-i5037-k653…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g297930-i9925-k644…

And here is the actual PST review profile page:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g297937-d6…

http://phuketsailtours.com/

Have fun planning! :D

-k

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
70 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Boat trips

Oh, I see that Captain Mark had already commented on one of your other post: "Where is the floating village in Phuket?" In that case, maybe you're looking for other options beside PST?

I've read that these sail tour companies are pretty good as well:

Nudi Tours:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g1215781-d…

Simba Sea Trips:

tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g297934-d1…

-k

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
87 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Boat trips

Thanks for that Ourchived. Will check all these out.

Where did you choose to go? Have you been there before? Done other trips? What did you like about it? Would you go again? How much did it cost per person?

I have done some basic reading about places but everywhere seems good. We'll only do one boat trip as we want to do different actiivities and have some chill out and shopping time. The boat trips are expensive as a day trip with kids so just want to make sure we get the best value for our money. I think the waters are calmer on Koh Samui in August so at the minute I'm minded to go to the Marine Park from there.. but then there's a lot of good stuff written about the boat trips from Phuket. I'm easily swayed!!

You've made me think though, I need to make up my mind and book somewhere soon.

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Boat trips

From Koh Samui Anthong Marine Park but also look at Koh Tao / nang Yuan which is very nice for the day and sea conditions should be fine.

For Phuket I would hold off booking until once you are ther so you can check the weather conditions and whether the trips will be going or not

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
70 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Boat trips

Hi Emma,

I booked the Phang Nga Bay by Speed Boat Tour, and it is 3500B per person with 20 people max on board i believe. Everyone is saying that this tour that I booked is packed with activities, including a visit to Ko Panyi, some canoeing by local paddlemen through the caves, chill time at the beach with an option to snorkel with provided equipment, etc.

On the PST website, they have a detail itinerary so that might be helpful to you on deciding. And no, I have not been on these tours before as I'll be visiting Phuket only for the first time. As far as I know, the water will be calmer sailing to Phang Nga Bay than to Phi Phi Islands.

I totally understand your situation and I hope you're as excited as I am planning for your trip to Thailand!

Best,

K

Chester, United...
Level Contributor
169 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Boat trips

K (Ourchived),

I did the Phang Nga Bay speed boat tour with PST in February 2013 and it is a FANTASTIC day!!!

You will have a great time with PST who make sure you arrive at all the key places before the crowds and other tourists arrive.

I see that this is your first visit to Phuket and would like to say that you have made an excellent choice going to the awe inspiring Phang Nga Bay with PST.

I am returning to Phuket in December 2013 and February 2014 and am already planning to book trips with PST again. Captain Mark's company is excellent and even though the cost may be more than other companies, the organisation and attention to detail is superior and worth the extra.

I did Phi Phi island with another speed boat company in 2012 and the boat was more crowded plus the tour guide was less knowledgable.

Have a great time, K.

Tia :)

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
87 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Boat trips

Ye. I'm going to go for Phang Nga Bay from Phuket. Looked up PST and the trip looked amazing. Stunning scenery, village on stilts, swimming monkeys (they looked evil!), and everyone raving about Captain Mark. Sounds like the trip for us. Just fingers crossed for the weather. Would hate to miss this trip!

Thanks for all your brilliant advice. I'm pleased with my choice. There was a lot to choose from. Thought PST's detail on their website and great reviews really helped. Some of the boating websites just aren't that great esp Koh Samui ones.

8. Re: Best Boat trips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2014, 07:17