We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First trip to Thailand - Phuket and ??

Queensland
Level Contributor
3,958 posts
43 reviews
Save Topic
First trip to Thailand - Phuket and ??

Hi everyone, I have been lurking the Phuket forums for a few weeks now and have decided its time to visit! My husband and I will be (hoping) to visit for a week in October for our 10th wedding anniversary, and I have tentatively picked Mom Tri's Villa Royale for us.

We are aiming to have another 4 nights somewhere else and even though this is our first trip to Thailand, we are thinking of skipping Bangkok and going to Chiang Mai.

Do you think this would be a mistake? I don't want to miss anything by not going to Bangkok, but we would like to see another side of Thailand, than the beach and shopping of Phuket (although I do realise this is not all Phuket has to offer!!).

Thanks for any advice I may get on this :)

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,959 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First trip to Thailand - Phuket and ??

Both Bangkok and Chiang Mai are worthy of visits, but Chiang Mai is more laid back and gentler, but I do recommend at least a couple of nights in Bangkok if you can, then fly to Chiang Mai for 3-4 nights then on to Phuket, it will give you a good overall impression of Thailand for your first visit and Bangkok does have a lot to offer and is the heart and soul of Thailand, you may love it or hate, but at least you will have been there and can decide for yourself.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,830 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First trip to Thailand - Phuket and ??

I think either of those is a good choice. I would go for Bangkok and as Cassau says you will love it or hate it.

It is worth spending at least 4 days there.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,959 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First trip to Thailand - Phuket and ??

I would probably cut a day off Phuket and do 2-3 days Bangkok and 3-4 Chiang Mai if you can, this will give you enough time to see and do the main things in both places. If you can be in Chiang Mai over a weekend, there are some great weekend markets. Here are two lists of the top things to do in Bangkok and Chiang Mai to give you an idea of what's on offer and to wet your appetite:

tripadvisor.in/…49929273

tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTopic-g293917-i9325-k…

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,861 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First trip to Thailand - Phuket and ??

With only an additional 4days I would just add one more location. Chiang Mai gets my vote and 4 days would give you a good feel for the place. Plenty to do and see.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
25,959 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: First trip to Thailand - Phuket and ??

I agree, I think for first timers Chiang Mai is the ideal spot.

Queensland
Level Contributor
3,958 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: First trip to Thailand - Phuket and ??

Thanks all for your wonderful (and quick) responses! The plan would be to do Chiang Mai (or Bangkok) first, so we would be there for the weekend - I've also been reading the Chiang Mai forum and it sounds like there is lots of things to do there, including the weekend markets.

Unfortunately we can't stretch to more than the 11 nights, can only get 2 weeks off work at the most, and the end of the second week I have to help organise (and be at) my fathers birthday party - back in QLD. So it will a shortish trip this time :)

Edited: 31 May 2013, 04:17
Italy
Level Contributor
39,493 posts
226 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First trip to Thailand - Phuket and ??

I would also take a day from Chiang Mai and a day from Phuket and add Bangkok to the itinerary especially as October weatherwise is statistically the worst month to visit Thailand and you don't know what kind of weather you'll get in Phuket.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
167 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: First trip to Thailand - Phuket and ??

Hi

We just done bbk and Phuket. I would spend more time in bbk than Phuket. Much more shopping in bbk than Phuket.very god day trips out of bbk, like tiger temple and around bbk.we hired guide for day in bbk it was the best day out.shopping.sight seeing going on public transport.we didn't like Phuket wish spend more time in bbk and cm

9. Re: First trip to Thailand - Phuket and ??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2014, 05:17