We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

End of October weather ok, or wait til November/ December

Maroochydore...
Level Contributor
117 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
End of October weather ok, or wait til November/ December

Hi everyone,

I'm looking into our first trip to Thailand with our 3 kids - 6, 4 and 1 year old. I've been given some info on a great deal for an apartment in Surin Beach - however the deal expires on 31 Oct... I was wondering if we left our trip until this very last week in October what the weather is most likely to be like? Is it worth just holding off and paying the extra and going in November or December. I'm just concerned about travelling all that way and then being stuck inside with 3 little kids!!

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: End of October weather ok, or wait til November/ December

The later you leave it the better the weather will be, I personally wouldn't risk it unless there's a very big price difference, especially with kids, it usually doesn't rain continually, just a few heavy showers in the afternoon and evening but the statistics show all of October to be the worst month in Thailand so it would be a big risk.

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: End of October weather ok, or wait til November/ December

Hi explorer,

We go to Phuket every year in November (start of) & as stated by Chrella you usually get a shower or 2 in the arvo but apart from that the weather is great, we got married in November 2 years ago & apart from 1 big downpour (night of our wedding lol) we had fantastic weather.

IF it does rain it usually stops pretty quick & is hot again, you will find your little ones will be outside even if it does rain, my 5yo loves it over there & is outside all the time.

Have a great trip :)

Vinny

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: End of October weather ok, or wait til November/ December

Hi

If you are comfortable with rain and dosent mind with occasional heavy showers than you can go in october as we are going in 2nd week of october for 10 nights.

But if you need a perfect climate without rain than my suggestion would be to wait for one month and go in december if you have to pay a little extra also.

cheers

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,566 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: End of October weather ok, or wait til November/ December

Its really all down to luck. You might see very little rain in October but to be safe I would leave it as late as possible.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
201 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: End of October weather ok, or wait til November/ December

I usually go in October and in 6 trips have never had any problem with rain. Usually only rains for a short while and has mostly been late afternoon or evening. On my 7th trip I went mid November and it rained for 5 1/2 days out of 7. So I would say to you to go in October as the difference in the hotel prices is worthwhile.

Also with the way the weather patterns around the world are so abnormal these days it is anyone's guess what you will find. I am trying July this year -heading over on the 24th so I have my fingers crossed.

Regards

Ozlady

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,974 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: End of October weather ok, or wait til November/ December

Well said Ozlady! The weather is screwy all over. For example last Nov/Dec we had more rain than we had in October. The weather last October was great!

Maroochydore...
Level Contributor
117 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: End of October weather ok, or wait til November/ December

Ok great thanks everyone for the advice.

I contacted the resort and they are willing to extend their deal for November, so we might try the beginning of November and see how we go. Fingers crossed!!!

Cape Town, South...
4 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: End of October weather ok, or wait til November/ December

Hi Guys

We are off to Phuket on the 8th of October this year for 8 nights.

What is the weather like that time of the year?

We read a lot of reviews and seems that it won't be great we are hoping to get some sunshine and nice days to go to the islands.

I look forward to your feedback.

Wayne

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,372 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: End of October weather ok, or wait til November/ December

Welcome to the forum Wayne, best to start your own post really, but its on weather anyway. Read post 5 you answer is there.

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,085 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: End of October weather ok, or wait til November/ December

Hi Explorer,

This has to be the most asked question on the forum and although its the end of the wet season its usually fine in our experience.

I think out of 8 or so trips there in October in the last 10 years we have never been greatly affected by rain, one year it did rain all one day but that's once in 8 trips that time of the year. As others have said you may get a downpour followed by sunshine its unpredictable but usually passes very quick.

November is the start of the high season so if they will honer the prices longer that would be good but it really should not affect you weather wise. It can be raining in Patong Beach and sunny in Surin Beach a few Kilometers away so if you are doing day trips just plan for both.

When it rains its usually a brief relief from the heat as it generally drops the temp by 2 to 3C for a short period so enjoy it when or if it happens. We have had a couple of trips with no rain at all.

Enjoy your time and don't worry about the weather.

Cheers Pete