We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Weather Forecast Vs Reality

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Weather Forecast Vs Reality

Hi! We are heading to Phuket next week (19th June) and I have just checked the weather reports it said there are some scattered thunderstorms in Phuket right now and will be some rain next week. (http://www.weather.com/weather/today/Phuket+Thailand+THXX0018) Just wanted to get a rough idea about how heavy is the 'rain' from anyone who is in Phuket right now or was there earlier on this month.. Thanks :)

Doesnt matter what's the weather still really looking forward to going back to this lovely place!

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Weather Forecast Vs Reality

tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-s208/Thailand…

I have also read this page... it rains for a couple of hours then dries out. Just to see if that's what been happening?

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,423 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Weather Forecast Vs Reality

We have had excellent weather last week, since yesterday strong winds and a lot of rain. The present forecast is the same for the next 2 days.

After that nobody knows, any weatherforecast more than 2 days in advance is just as reliable as me putting my finger in the air (I quite often even think that my finger is better).

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Weather Forecast Vs Reality

The posted weather forecast at our hotel was always a source of amusement. We went at the end of June and every day the forecast was either 60% chance of rain or 70% chance of rain. Only took them 10 days to finally be right ! We were a little lucky in that it rained for 5 days before we got there. Personally, I'd go with stevenl's finger, especially if it's a particular one (aimed at the rain God's).

Edited: 10 June 2013, 05:45
Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,423 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Weather Forecast Vs Reality

"We went at the end of June and every day the forecast was either 60% chance of rain or 70% chance of rain. Only took them 10 days to finally be right ! "

You have to learn how to read this: 60% or 70% chance there will be some rain on the day. So quite often they are right. They could also say: 90% sun, since the chance of some sun during the day is extremely high.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
576 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Weather Forecast Vs Reality

Yes, the weather is hard to predict. Wait for the day and put your head outside and have a look is the only reliable way although we haven't tested Steven's finger.

Generally it doesn't matter if you get a wet day here and there. Just adjust your activity for the day - and whoa you might even have to spend the day relaxing indoors, shopping or whatever. Whatever happens it will still be warm (or hot or very hot).

Tragic

Australia
Level Contributor
59 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Weather Forecast Vs Reality

we are here right now (Surin beach) and it was torrential rain last night-very disappointed as we had booked a pod on the beach with plans to go to the rooftop sky bar before hand-all out the window (cant control the weather!) but today was a bit of rain currently overcast but really warm. when the rain comes it is really heavy but apart from last night seems to come and go quick. Hope you have a great trip

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Weather Forecast Vs Reality

It's a tropical country so you have to expect some rain and this is the rainy season but it's never too much to ruin a holiday.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,599 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Weather Forecast Vs Reality

This might answer some questions.

phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Weather-w…

London, United...
Level Contributor
4 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Weather Forecast Vs Reality

Thank you guys for the updates and share of thoughts :) :)

Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Weather Forecast Vs Reality

Check also http://www.phuketgazette.net/news and http://www.phuketwan.com as they have local weather updates / articles etc

Edited: 11 June 2013, 02:37