We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rough surf serves up bluebottles at Phuket beach

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,129 posts
97 reviews
Save Topic
Rough surf serves up bluebottles at Phuket beach

For information a local friend has forwarded this to me phuketgazette.net/phuket_news/2013/Rough-sur… and tells me that people are still swimming on beaches where red flags are flying.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,084 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rough surf serves up bluebottles at Phuket beach

Portugese man-o-war's also known as Bluebottles in Australia....These nasty little creatures have bubble sails on their backs which are used as sails to propel them....And highly likely if the wind is onshore,then they will inevitably end up on the beaches.....

They have extremely long tentacles which can stretch for many meters....So,if you see one 3 meters away ,you are still in danger of being stung.....

These stingers are not known to be the fatal kind,however if you suffer from a heart condition or similar,then you could be in all sorts of trouble if stung....

I have been stung on the thigh twice...The venom travelled up my thigh and caused excruciating pain when it reached my vitals and then the venom proceeded further into my guts....Had me hunched over and writhing in agony,however the pain does recede/disscipate within a few hours.....

The sting is nasty..!!..Rather akin to a series of bee stings depending on where you have been stung....

Never ever rub sand into the affected area,this only exacerbates and irritates the sting area and does not help at all....

We used to pop the bubbles by stepping our heels on them as they lay washed up on the beaches....They make a loud pop...!!....Just be careful - Try not to step on the blue tentacles....Ouch...!!

Edited: 20 June 2013, 00:01
2. Re: Rough surf serves up bluebottles at Phuket beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2014, 06:17