We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket and????

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
57 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Phuket and????

Hi all

Shall be visiting Phuket innov/ dec 2013. A few queries

1. Should we stay all 7 days in Phuket ( planning on staying at centara karon resort) or should we split up and spend the days at two different places

2. If so then where else can we stay?? Was thinking about khao lak as it is close to the khao sok national park ??

3. Should we visit phi phi and surin islands or only one . If so then which one?? We r all interested in snorkelling

This is our first time in Thailand so want to have a good time. We are 5 adults and a 16 year old teen travelling together

All views on centara and phuket are welcome. Thanks in advance

Rawai Beach, Phuket
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
895 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket and????

I would at least do some day trips.

PhangNga is a good one (to include James Bond island)

Phi Phi might be good although the best part, Maya bay, get's awful crowded that time of year.

I went to Ko Sok 4 times and it was raining every time. I believe the Lake portion of that park is much nicer/better for a trip with a night sleeping on the bamboo raft huts.

You are staying near the touristy part of Phuket. I guess that's what you want.

If you get tired of tourists, try a few nights up north of Nai Yang beach. Much quieter and more relaxed.

Lots of beaches here.

Enjoy.

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
234 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket and????

I would spend few days in Phuket & few days somewhere else......depends on your fav way to spend holiday time!

Agree with fiddledude, experience the Ko Sok & Lake trip, but base in Khao Lak & definitely stay overnight in a raft house on the lake.

Have fun

Rob

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
57 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket and????

Thanks for the info. We would definitely want to go to khao sok as we r all fond of nature. Would it be convenient to go and stay there or should we stay at khao lak and do a day trip there...

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
57 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phuket and????

Sorry Aussierob.. U have already answered my question. Any hotel recommendations for Khao lak

Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phuket and????

Splitting between Phuket and Khao Lak will be a good idea. For hotels you can check out the following

www.sawadee.com

Cheers

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phuket and????

Hi

1) 7 days isnt too long to be splitting your stay, but to get best of both worlds I would do 3 Phuket and 4 in Khao Lak, but would do Khao Lak first

Khao Lak is only 1 hour drive north from Phuket International airport

2) 4 days in Khao Lak to get the benifit of doing Surin and Tachai islands for snorkeling, and Khao Sok National park where I would be including a tour of Cheiow Laan Lakes, it is just amazing and so beautiful out there, we have done it twice and loved it, amazing scenery, kayaking on the lake at the raft houses, caves, treck etc you can stay overnight in one of the many raft houses and /or in the jungle tree houses but a day tour is sufficient given your limited time :)

also from Khao Lak you can do tours to Phang Nga bay, to include James Bond Island and the sea gypsy village plus sea canoeing very easily and it is a fantastic day trip, I prefer Phang Nga over Phi Phi but that is a personal choice

accommodation: plenty for all budgets but Nang Thong Bay Resort (NTBR1) is great location and price, and a good base for you, check out the beachfront bungalows and garden bungalows www.nangthong.com if interested book direct with no payment until you arrive contact Jist on nangthong1@hotmail.com

Khao Lak is beautiful with plenty of good acommodation many beachfront, 25 km of beautiful beaches, lots good dining and small bars low key nightlife, shopping etc but you will be tired form all the day tours anyway lol www.khaolak.com or www.khaolaklovers.com for more info :)

3) you can do Phi Phi from Phuket if you still wish to go

4) 3 days on Phuket for shopping, bit more full on nightlife (if you wish) book a driver for sightseeing of Phuket to include Karon Viewpoint, Phromthep Cape, Big Buddah, Wat Chalong, Phuket Town and Rang Hill just to name a few places of intrest, day tip to Phi Phi, maybe Fantasea show (if intrested) plenty to see and do for 3 days

Karon beach is a good area to stay as your choice

Anyway that is just my few suggestions as I would do it, you can have a play around and arrange it all to suit yourselves

happy planning

cheers

Mossy :)

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
57 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phuket and????

Thanks Mossy for the detailed reply. Would you reccommend the phang nga bay day tour or the hong by starlight tour ??... The latter with John Gray will have to be done from Phuket

Would we be missing out on a lot of beautiful scenery if we did not do Phi phi??

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
5,815 posts
67 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Phuket and????

Hi

well to do Phang Nga by day and/or night you are doubling up and going to the same place, however 2 totaly different experiences so a matter of choice really? personaly I prefer the daytime but John Grays by starlight is an awesome experience, hard to pick one over the other!!

As said Maya Bay is the highlight of the Phi Phi tour , and yes it does have some amazing scenery but gets very crowded these days, if you dont mind that then yes worth a trip, you can do that plus John Grays from Phuket and the other tours Surin, Khao Sok & Phang Nga from Khao Lak.....best of both worlds :)

9. Re: Phuket and????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 June 2014, 06:17