We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Japanese B Encephalitis and Tick Borne Encephalitis

Belfast, Northern...
Level Contributor
86 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Japanese B Encephalitis and Tick Borne Encephalitis

I'm just come from Drs re travel jabs and one of the ones he suggested was to get the Japanese B Encephalitis and Tick Borne Encephalitis which you get from an insect...

I haven't heard about this nor do I know anyone who has been to Asia who got this injection. About to research it now...

Is this a common injection for people when visiting Phuket/Koh Samui area? Should I get this? Tell me more.

There's a bit of a cost here for it. I'll obviously get it if I think I need it but just want to know more first before handing over what may cost about £100 here in Belfast. (£40 Dr admin fee and he said the chemist would charge way more than that for the drug).

All thoughts welcomed!

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,272 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Japanese B Encephalitis and Tick Borne Encephalitis

Tick-borne encephalitis is a risk in my native Finland, but this is the very first time I hear anyone suggesting that it would be an issue in Thailand. NHS seems to believe that it does not occur in Thailand, either. nhs.uk/Conditions/…Introduction.aspx Apparently you could be exposed in some parts of China and Japan. Your doctor of course may be more up to date than the NHS web site.

Japanese encephalitis is a recommended vaccination for Thai children. NHS has quite comprehensible guidelines for recommending this immunization for tourists: nhs.uk/Conditions/…Vaccination.aspx Up to you to decide how well you really fit the risk profile. The virus is spread by mosquitoes, so you can reduce the risk of infection by taking precautions against mosquito bites which you should do in any case due to dengue fever.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach
Level Contributor
5,320 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Japanese B Encephalitis and Tick Borne Encephalitis

For Phuket and Samui I would not bother with either of them.

3. Re: Japanese B Encephalitis and Tick Borne Encephalitis

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 June 2014, 06:19