We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

jbr

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
6,240 posts
66 reviews
Save Topic
jbr

Air Asia flight from Coolangatta to KL was good, left and arrived on time.As we had a 5 hour lay over in KL we wanted to have a decent meal so we went through immigration, caught the Tune shuttle, only to find that the 'Decanter' restaurant had closed down about six before.We ended up back at the terminal eating sandwiches.

The flight to Phuket was just over an hour and we were met by Phuket Shuttle. Everything was fine except I got a phone call while on the way to Patong trying to sell me tours. Also we witnessed the aftermath of a fatal on the main road from the airport.Very unpleasant.

Check in was simple, cool drinks and cold towels.The Banthai was just as good as it was the last time we were here.

We shopped at OTOP markets and Jungceylon the next morning.and we both had a facial at 'Pinmara' which is in the Robinson complex.Have to say even I thought it was great.

We ate at Karon Sea Food, Sea Hag, Da No1, Chez Benards (twice) Natural Restaurant, Sabai Sabai, The Orchards, Bite Inn and others I cannot remember. Sabai Beach Restaurant was closed for about a month. Had excellent meals at all the restaurants mentioned but I would not go back to Sea Hag as the bill was double what it should have been.

We had a day out with Panya and we went to Kamala,Surin and Laguna and then on to Phuket Marina. That was quite impressive. We strolled around the Botanical Gardens which we enjoyed, although the entrance fee was expensive. Was shown around Phuket Town and we like that as well.

We had a day out with Mark on Phuket Sails and have a great time.Lunch was as good as any meal we had the whole stay.

Spent half a day in Karon and also went to Festival Central.

Panya's wife picked us up and took us to the Phuket weekend markets and Panya took us home.I always love this market especially the food.

One thing I will be doing next time is hiring a car.I have never thought about it before but the cost of taxis is out of control. This was painfully obvious when we wanted to go to Tunk Ka Cafe for lunch and every taxi wanted to charge 1000 baht return for a 25 min drive. I can hire a car for a day for less than that.

The weather was perfect for our stay and the only rain we had was at the airport on our way home.

We were stopped many times by the timeshare touts and not once was there any rudeness or abuse.

All in all it was a fantastic and enjoyable holiday

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Phuket Shuttle
Phuket Shuttle
216 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Banthai Beach Resort & Spa
Banthai Beach Resort...
2,402 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Jungceylon
Jungceylon
5,666 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Karon
Karon
Phuket, Thailand
Sea Hag Restaurant
Sea Hag Restaurant
1,517 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Natural Restaurant
Natural Restaurant
557 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Sabai Sabai
Sabai Sabai
610 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Sabai Beach Restaurant
Sabai Beach Restaurant
741 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Kamala
Kamala
Phuket, Thailand
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,149 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Phuket Town
Phuket Town
Phuket, Thailand
Tunk-Ka Cafe
Tunk-Ka Cafe
427 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Italy
Level Contributor
39,682 posts
236 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: jbr

Thanks for your report, we always hire a car in Phuket and think it's the best thing to do as it gives you the freedom to go where and when you want and it avoids the stress of haggling with the taxi drivers that as you say are completely out of control.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Torrevieja, Spain
Level Contributor
266 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: jbr

Thanks for a good read. Makes our forthcoming trip more exciting.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
74 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: jbr

Thanks for the report!

We arrive in 6 days so ill be interested to see the monopoly of taxis again this year.

victoria
Level Contributor
122 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: jbr

Great report.

We went to Sea Hag 3 times, 3 times we were given "complimentary appetizers" and 3 times they were on the bill!! As soon as we looked at the bill and looked at the staff they fixed it up..If we hadn't of made contact with them I'm sure they would have liked to have got away with it.. Banthai...nice but don't think we will go back their..Great location tho.

Mentioned in this post
Sea Hag Restaurant
Sea Hag Restaurant
1,517 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Banthai Beach Resort & Spa
Banthai Beach Resort...
2,402 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
37,429 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: jbr

Great report!! Which PST trip did you do?

Thanks for sharing!!!!!

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
6,240 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: jbr

Hi Mitch,

Phang Nga Bay. It is a long day but well worth it.

Mentioned in this post
Phang Nga Bay
Phang Nga Bay
1,573 Reviews
Ao Phang Nga National Park, Thailand
Kolkata (Calcutta...
Level Contributor
1,728 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: jbr

Nice Report.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
4,026 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: jbr

Great trip report and glad you had a good time. We only recently went to Natural Restaurant with Captain Mark and a group of TA friends to celebrate Lozzas birthday and we were quite impressed with the ambiance and the food.

Mentioned in this post
Natural Restaurant
Natural Restaurant
557 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,145 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: jbr

Great Report,

We hired a car 2 trips ago and did a road trip to Kok Lanta but it was so nice to have a vehicle to get around, we are going to hire one again for our next trip, like you say its so expensive to cab it around the place.

We heard bad reviews from Chez Bernards after they changed owners but i was happy to hear a friend was there recently and it was good again, seems you also had good meals, good to hear as it was always one of our favorites.

Thanks for sharing your holiday.

Cheers, Pete

10. Re: jbr

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 July 2014, 05:19