We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 hour stop over at KL (Air Asia)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
30 reviews
Save Topic
5 hour stop over at KL (Air Asia)

Hi,

My family and I are heading to Patong mid September (we cant wait) and will have a 5 hour stopover in KL before flying into Phuket (arrive about 9pm I think).

Arriving in Kuala Lumper I'll only have Australian currency and was wandering if I need to exchange some into ringgit to spend around the airport for food and a few drinks to fill in the time or is the $A accepted..

Also are there any good bars/food places at the airport that anyone can recommend?

Thanks in advance,

Mickey

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
3,622 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 hour stop over at KL (Air Asia)

Yes, lots of exchange booths...you can change as little as a $5 note. If you stay in LCCT there is only one bar. Theres not a lot of food choices....I normally veg in Starbucks for a few hours.

laj
Brisbane Aust
Level Contributor
376 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 hour stop over at KL (Air Asia)

It's a nice airport too. Heaps of shops. My kids loved the massive lolly shop and walking through the little 'outdoor' garden. There's a lot of food choices.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,214 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 hour stop over at KL (Air Asia)

Hi

You should have visited the Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia forum . . . --->> tripadvisor.co.uk/ShowForum-g298570-i7008-Ku…

It is worth checking out the FAQs there too . . .

Yes, there are change booths.

I think you will find that the outdoor garden is in the Satellite building at KLIA, and not the much smaller LCCT that Air Asia use!!

There are a few shops, cafes and restaurants. The choice in the duty free at LCCT is small.

Are you on fly thu? If you are then you don't have to collect your bags, and you can just head to the transit area on the first floor!

If not on fly thru, you will have to collect bags, and then check in again.

Either way you can clear immigration and head land side

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 hour stop over at KL (Air Asia)

Thanks Brio and laj.

:)

Wyong, Australia
Level Contributor
4,189 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 hour stop over at KL (Air Asia)

Nice and LCCT is something you don't see together too often.

Mickey I think you'll get a better exchange rate if you use the exchange down near McDonalds.

Have fun

Gold Coast...
Level Contributor
783 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 5 hour stop over at KL (Air Asia)

If you're doing a fly through and spending your time in the transit area, there are a couple of exchange places straight ahead as you walk out of the transit area. Have a look around at the shops, there are a couple of fast food type places, a coffee shop, a bar, plus souvenir shop and duty free. Upstairs there is a Dunkin Donuts. We usually work out what we want to eat/drink and just change enough AUD to give us close to this amount, that way we dont have to change back gain before we leave. Transit area is pretty boring, but there is free wi-fi for 3 hours (works best near the phone charging area), if you grab something to eat, a walk around the shops, use the internet, you'll fill in the time ok.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Ko Pha Ngan, Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
25,373 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 5 hour stop over at KL (Air Asia)

We just had the same stopover 2 weeks ago, we pre-booked a room at the Tune Hotel which has a shuttle bus running to it from the airport, takes 2 minutes. Well worth it for a shower and a nap.

Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 5 hour stop over at KL (Air Asia)

Free wifi at McDonald's and the departure lounge and there is a VIP lounge (paid admission)

Hot showers also to the right as you go up the escalators to clear immigration.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
129 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 5 hour stop over at KL (Air Asia)

We have just arrived home from doing this.If you have a fly thru ticket like we did you don't have to clear immigration( we didn't).We thought of clearing Immigration as had heard no tmuch on transit side. But we had a sickie and just wanted to get in and go to bathroom.We found it fine. You go to transit side of airport.As you enter to the right is an exchange both. We exchanged about $50 aussie. As was coming back thru on return. We headed upstairs where dunkin donuts are and lay on benches for a nap. Time did go quickly. I got my blanket out to put on benches and stuck my ear plugs in and had a nap. Kids did the same.we arrived around 7 am and had plenty of room to stretch out.There is enough food outlets for snacks(no mcdonalds) My kids went to dunkin donuts and lolly shop upstairs .There is a sports bar which has tvs and food. Also probably spent a fortune on the massage chairs upstairs. Enjoy

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 5 hour stop over at KL (Air Asia)

Thankyou to everyone for your help.