We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time visitors - Anniversary question?

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
132 posts
81 reviews
Save Topic
1st time visitors - Anniversary question?

LOVE this forum. SO much helpful advice! We have good friends that SO badly want to visit Thailand but haven't ever been there. We were able to go one time and had a ball. Such a neat place. We stayed at the Laguna Beach Resort in Bang Tao Bay with our 3 kids.

Questions I have are- they are planning to go this October and I know it is the end of the rainy season but is the Karon area usually pretty nice that time of the year. I completely get that it is the end of the wet season but wondering if being the end it is usually nicer weather?

Also want to send them somewhere that fits what they are looking for. They aren't picky at all but are definitely intimidated with all of the choices of where to stay. They love the beach and want to relax spending time together. They have been married for 20 years and have 3 kids so a break is well needed! :) They are ready to just pick Hawaii but I have told them once they go to SE Asia they will be hooked. Thailand and Bali are our two favorite places in the world. Airfare will be about $3000 US dollars and they are looking to spend about $1000-1500 for the room for 9-10 nights. Sorry for the rambling but I sure appreciate any advice or help I can pass on to them. It is much appreciated!

Thank You!

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,436 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time visitors - Anniversary question?

When it comes to the weather at that time of year it can be wet or dry. October is one of the highest rainfall of the year. Will have plenty of choice for accommodation on that budget.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
35,763 posts
325 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time visitors - Anniversary question?

Why not look at Kata and Kata Noi, especially Mom Tris Villas is very lovely, but also look at Kata Beach resort or the Boat House! Kata is more villagy than Karon - Karon is soooooo long and it can lack personality. The area where Kata joins Karon is also nice, Marina Resort or Karon Beach hotel.

I think that you are asking about the weather, BUT who knows.

As the saying goes, if anyone does, can I have the lotto numbers please?

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
157 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time visitors - Anniversary question?

An enthusiastic agreement about Mom Tri's! That place is just stunning.

Kata Noi should be really peaceful at that time of year. We went in October and it was stunning. The sea water was so warm, you could stay in it all day and the sand was like powder. Hmmm.

Anyway, I really think Kata Noi would suit their needs. This beach is voted number 2 under "things to do in Phuket" on the drop-down Phuket menu at top of page.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
132 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time visitors - Anniversary question?

Thank you so much for the responses. Sounds like Kata Noi is exactly what they are looking for. Mom's Tri's has so many great reviews and looks wonderful. I will check on that straight away.

Yeah I suppose a little tough for you guys to predict the weather 110 days away for a forecast is a bit of a reach! I am sure the weather will be great and that they will love it.

Really appreciate you taking the time to help and giving great advice.

Thank You!

Auckland Region...
Level Contributor
157 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time visitors - Anniversary question?

Hello again,

In terms of booking accommodation, as well as checking the usual international sites, make sure you check sawadee.com, which is specifically for Thailand. We found a really great deal for Mom Tri's there - way cheaper than all the others, with every third night free.

Also, if they want the privacy and don't mind a wee walk up a small hill, the new Ocean Wing suites are lovely, even thought the cheapest. Much nicer than the Royale Wing. There are small decks jutting out off the cliff with a breathtaking view. I think the room called "Merlot" was particularly nice.

:)

6. Re: 1st time visitors - Anniversary question?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 July 2014, 07:18