We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket phang nga tour

Manhattan, Kansas
Level Contributor
47 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Phuket phang nga tour

We are traveling from siem reap to phuket via Air Asia with a layover at DMK. We will not arrive in Phuket until 8pm. Can anyone tell us if that is too late to arrange tours to see the Phang Nga islands or do an elephant tour for the following day. We are arriving on a Sunday. Also, has anyone had any problems with short layovers (we have about 4 hours at DMK) with this airline or airport. Any input is appreciated.

Hyderabad, India
Level Contributor
3,053 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket phang nga tour

You have enough time at DM Airport for your next connecting flight.

Once you reach Phuket, I would suggest you to visit any road side travel kiosk and book a Island tour. You can choose Phang Nga island tour (James Bond island) if this is your first visit. Price starts 800 bahts with lunch and transfers. You can choose one with couple of Canoeing and few island visits. The operator will take your hotel name and will send you a mini bus next morning at 8 am.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket phang nga tour

Arriving at 8.00pm means getting into Patong after 9.00pm, maybe even 9.30pm, and it will be later still by the time you check into your Hotel. Unless you mean you get to your hotel by 8.00 pm ? You may find tour stalls open till 10.00 pm, or you may not. And it may be too late for them to get you on a tour for the next day. But if they are still open, I'm pretty confident they'll get you on somewhere if there's still seats available. I seriously doubt you will be able to book the fancier tours with such short notice. Maybe John Gray's hongs by starlight as it's at night, but it could be booked out.

You could pre-book online via a local agent eg Miss We, or direct with a company like John Gray or Phuket Sail tours, Simba etc. You will have to research the price of the tour you are after if you are after a cheapy (fancier/more expensive tours don't discount), as the first quoted price for a tour (locally or via email) is often the list price, which can be 2 or even 3 times the actual price you can get from a local roadside agent (you haggle with them too). Eg a couple of years ago we did the Phuket Panwa Canoe tour of Phang Nga bay for 1400 baht each, list price of 3200 baht each on their website. The Panwa canoe tour was ok if you just want to get there and back, and see the hongs by canoe, James Bond island etc. It's on a big ferry boat with lots of people but we thought it was lots of fun and great value.

The Kok Chang elephant ride was 1000 baht each from memory for the 1 hour ride, and that price included return transport from Patong, which may be extra depending on your agent.

Edited: 15 September 2013, 15:12
Manhattan, Kansas
Level Contributor
47 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket phang nga tour

Thank you both for your input. To be honest, yes, we are " cheapys". We have been able to keep our two week, two countries trips to under 6k including flights. We do a lot of research, use promo codes whenever we can, eat where the locals do etc. Hotels are usually the hardest thing. Reviews are subjective at times and we've stayed at places with bad reviews without any issues. The pergamos hotel in Athens is a good example. Rough reviews but our stay was great. As to tours, we've had good ones and terrible ones ( China Focus Travel was a two week nightmare).

In Phuket we want to do two different tours but we are only there for three days. We aren't beachy people. We are museum, culture, scenery, and history people. We are allowing for the possibility of bad weather by staying 3 days, so our wanting to arrange the tours as soon as we get to town is paramount. We are also hoping we can get a good price by buying two tours. We have found that if they know they have the possibility of two sales they will try a little harder.

Again, thanks for the input. It is appreciated.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,423 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phuket phang nga tour

Hi

Arriving at 8pm you won't have time to arrange a phang nga bay tour.

Ok, you may be cheapys, but you have to balance the crowd'm'in boats that don't care about your safety and the others that charge more. Ok, staying a couple of nights in a rough hotel might be ok, but being in an over crowded boat which is swamped by a wave is a different matter, as it being throw by a rogue wave when in the speedboat . . .. . . .

Phuket is one of the most expensive places in Thailand.

Please don't get me started on elephants . . . I don't agree with it.

Manhattan, Kansas
Level Contributor
47 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Phuket phang nga tour

Thanks Mitch. I hadn't heard or read about unsafe boats. We've done boat tours with standing room only crowds. I'm of the mind set of I'm getting too old to be chicken. Lol. I was scared to death to try parasailing in Mexico at the age of 47 with arthritis and no traveler insurance but the minute I touched back down on the boat I wanted to go again. There is always truth in the adage "you get what you pay for" but we are paying for experiences not necessarily doing what is "safe." I understand your feelings about the elephants. Again, thank you for the input. I have a feeling our first day in phuket may just be arranging days 2&3.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,035 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Phuket phang nga tour

Phang Nga bay tour is pretty safe. Flat water. The Panwa Canoe boats are often full, but they are designed for that number of people. I was impressed with their safety routine, and was even saved by one of the crew when I overestimated my swimming-to-shore ability on our beach stopover on the way back. Phi Phi island tour can be a different story, as there can be rough seas, and overcrowded boats. But as always, do your research. Top dollar is pretty much a guarantee of a good tour, but there's nothing wrong with a well run cheapy.

And I don't agree with eating elephants either. Or for that matter, cows, sheep, horses, pigs, goats, kangaroos, chickens etc. So I don't eat them. But if other people want to kill innocent living creatures to satisfy their hunger, well, that's entirely up to them.

Arranging tours does not take long. There are numerous roadside travel vendors, often with the same tours on offer. You haggle for price at one or two of them then book. We found most agents to be honest about the safety/quality of tours if you asked, so ask ! Obviously, from stories on TA, not all agents are honest.

Edited: 16 September 2013, 03:52
Manhattan, Kansas
Level Contributor
47 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Phuket phang nga tour

Oh my! I do not wish to EAT an elephant! Such a majestic animal should not be food. I'm not a vegetarian but some things I could not do like eat on elephant or a cat.

8. Re: Phuket phang nga tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 September 2014, 05:17