We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best area to stay in May

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best area to stay in May

I have booked to fly to Phuket in May 2014 with hubby and two kids aged 12 & 14. I am now aware that this is the wet season so wondering is there anywhere where the beaches may still be ok for swimming. Not too keen on Patong beach as would prefer somewhere a bit less "seedy" but where we are able to enjoy nice restaurants, a bit of shopping/sight seeing.

I was looking at Khao Lak but I am now not sure if this is the right time of year to go. Unfortunately I cannot change flights.

I am grateful for any suggestions, thanks.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best area to stay in May

We normally go in May and stay in Kata, you can expect some rain but it's usually only in the afternoon or late evening, the seas can sometimes be choppy but not all the time and we've always been able to do boat tours. May is the changeover month so the monsoon hasn't really taken over yet.

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,914 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best area to stay in May

Kata sounds like the area for you. There are plenty of excellent restaurants and some good shopping in this area. But please watch out for the red flags on the beaches. On some days if the sea is calm then the flags wont be on display.

Have a great holiday :-)

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best area to stay in May

Thank you Chrella and Ring0. I am not familiar with Kata so will do some research :)

4. Re: Best area to stay in May

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 October 2014, 06:19