We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much can I see in one day? Phi Phi or Pha Nga Bay?

Newport Beach...
Level Contributor
11 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
How much can I see in one day? Phi Phi or Pha Nga Bay?

I'm going to Phuket in November. My flight gets in around 11:30am and I am going to Karon first to check into my hotel. I have the entire rest of my day open, plus 2 more full days.

How much time do I need to see the major things in Phuket - Wat Chalong, Karon Beach, Kata Beach, the viewpoint, Big Buddha, and the Gibbon Rehabilitation Project? If I hire a driver, can we see all of this in a half day after checking into our hotel?

The reason for wanting to do all this my first day is because I'd like to take a sail tour the other 2 days to Pha Nga Bay and Phi Phi Islands. From what I've read, those are separate trips and can't be combined in one day. Is that correct? If I have to choose just one, which is better? I really want to see some beautiful rock formations, beaches that are not totally full of tourists, and go snorkeling.

Any advice on how to fit this all in is much appreciated!

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
772 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much can I see in one day? Phi Phi or Pha Nga Bay?

All depending on when you will be at your hotel, I would say is manageable in 4-6 hours tocover 99% ofyour mentions things.

If you start with Karon beach, then Kata beach, then continue to Wat Chalong, big Buddha, few stops on their way down, there is some beautiful small restaurants with nice view and last back to Kata to the view point for the sunset and dinner.

The best is to rent a car with a driver, in a tuk tuk you can’t be sure they manage to drive all the way up to big Buddha, rent a “real” car, for you own safety and comfort.

Gibbon project, well worth a visit… is located on the east cost of Phuket, “nearly” opposite the airport and would not be convenient to add in to the above route. Maybe better to do a stop their when you go back to airport, or on the way to Karon, all depending on what time you are out of the airport with your luggage and ready to go. You need to count with at least 1 hour from airport to Karon…depending on the traffic at the Central junctions where the big road construction are…

It’s not possible to do both Phang Nga bay and Phi Phi in one day, you have to choice one of them.

Phi Phi has the best snorkeling of the two and it’s well known for its famous “Maya bay” and Viking cave, and the islands are very nice. Phi Phi is truly beautiful, you will find lots of other tourist, hundreds of speedboats ….it’s not a place to go to if you want to go away from the crowd.

My vote goes for Phang Nga bay… even if there is no snorkeling. Phang Nga bay is more about the stunning nature, lots of small islands, huge limestone’s formations, hidden hongs/lagoons…. Phang Nga bay is well worth a visit even when its cloudy weather still is well worth a visit!

Hope this helps

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,600 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much can I see in one day? Phi Phi or Pha Nga Bay?

Going to Phi Phi for the day to me is just a waste of time. I believe that to enjoy this place you need a few days.

If you go on the normal ferry you will only get 4 hours there anyway.

3. Re: How much can I see in one day? Phi Phi or Pha Nga Bay?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 October 2014, 05:19