We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

28 degrees - may no longer be a good option

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
30 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
28 degrees - may no longer be a good option

I Found this on KL Tripadvisor.

Tell us what you think

So looks like they caught on that people (myself included) that people load their own money on these cards. heads up for those who use it that they will now charge you a $4 fee or 3% (whichever is greater). be honest not attractive at all and I will look for a better option from Jan 1st.

28degreescard.com.au/faqs/cash-advance-fee.h…

Edited: 21 October 2013, 01:55
Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 28 degrees - may no longer be a good option

My sister used this card in Phuket and she noted the rate on the street and compared the rate she was charged on her statement when she got home and the rate on the street in Patong was 0.43 Baht better,so while the "no fees" are good,they get you on the exchange.

Banks don't put out a product that makes no money for them!!!

Melbourne, Australia
7 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 28 degrees - may no longer be a good option

Travelex travel cards now have a Thai baht option

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
239 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 28 degrees - may no longer be a good option

cash is all ways king.... but....i use citibank plus debit card works good for me

citibank.com.au/aus/…citibank_plus.htm

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2,977 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 28 degrees - may no longer be a good option

I've cancelled 28 degrees and signed up with citibank plus.

Kuta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
552 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 28 degrees - may no longer be a good option

I never leave home with out my 28 degrees and have used it in many countries.

28 Degrees charge the rate of the day from the XE website maybe a little higher than exchange off the street but i find it safer to pay for hotel accomadation and larger purchases than cash.You still pay more in fees from other banks.

This card is not designed for cash card and if the card is stolen they wont refund any pre-loaded amounts.

Edited: 21 October 2013, 03:15
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 28 degrees - may no longer be a good option

John07

There were many people including myself who at times reported getting a better rate via 28 degrees than they could get on the street ...

"Banks don't put out a product that makes no money for them!!!"

You're neglecting the fact that they had the use of your preloaded money (at no interest) whilst they charged people who did not pay their credit cards (in full or on time) over 20% interest.

For those interested ... Citibank have a similar online savings account (with a debit card) that works very much the same as 28 degrees ... except that it does not have the credit facility ... i.e. you draw down against your own savings with no fees (except of course the Thai government ATM fee).

PS ... The 28 degrees charges do not come into effect until Jan 1st 2014.

Edited: 21 October 2013, 03:18
Brisbane
Level Contributor
3,790 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 28 degrees - may no longer be a good option

We always travel with our 28 degrees card, and although we have lost the benefit of drawing down on our own pre-loaded cash we will still use the card as a no fees international card for making purchases, hotel bills etc.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 28 degrees - may no longer be a good option

We use the Citibank Plus account. No monthly fees, no foreign exchange fees. We withdrew nearly $3000 Aud over four weeks in Thailand and did not pay a single cent to Citibank ( we did pay the 150 baht ATM fee to to Thai bank).

australia
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 28 degrees - may no longer be a good option

it gets me that people spend 1000's of dollars on a trip to phuket then worry about a 100 or so dollars in fees so what id rather be safe than carrying round cash and use my card

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,124 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 28 degrees - may no longer be a good option

Hawk1991, I guess some people just don't like to see money wasted when its not necessary to do so.

And anyway, 100 bucks can buy a lot of cocktails!!! I know where I would rather see my money go.