We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patong or Karon for first timers?

Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Patong or Karon for first timers?

Me and my boyfriend are going to phuket in December and are wondering where the best area for us to stay is?

We plan to do a few tours, but want to see Phuket as well. I'm swaying towards Patong at the moment, just because I guess there'd be more for us if we just wanted to wander around at night?

What do people think?

Thanks

London
Level Contributor
461 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Patong or Karon for first timers?

I always prefer to stay in the area which has the most nightlife. Saves getting a taxi there and back every day, plus it means you can walk (stagger) home. Patong is nightlife (and shopping) central. Google images Bangla Road). There is not much going on in Kata/Karon. Worth a day trip though.

Phuket, Thailand
Level Contributor
772 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Patong or Karon for first timers?

Karon and Kata is more chilled places with few bars and restaurant and stunning beach, some of the restaurants has live music.

Patong is more hectic, you have all shopping, bars, disco etc etc.

Some people love Patong & some people think 1-2 eve or nights is enough and are happy to stay in Kata or Karon.

australia
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Patong or Karon for first timers?

yes for nightlife Patong for sure

1st time in Phuket we stayed in Karon because people on TA said it was better

spent a fortune in taxis going to Patong nearly every night, so on the next 8 trips

we have stayed in patong, Love it, there again in a week cant wait!

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,600 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Patong or Karon for first timers?

As Hawk mentioned getting a taxi back and forth can be quite expensive.

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
68 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Patong or Karon for first timers?

Patong beach for night life sure. That is popular beach. If need good scenary Panwa cape is better quiet but not good for swim.

Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Patong or Karon for first timers?

Thank you so much everyone for your messages. I think we will probably stay in Patong as our time in Phuket is more about doing things and wandering - we will be having our quiet beach time later in Phi Phi.

Anyone got any good reccomendations for hotels or b&b's there? We are going mid december so everywhere tends to be a little more expensive, so we probably will head for a b&b rather than a hotel.

Thanks guys!

australia
Level Contributor
1,294 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Patong or Karon for first timers?

we stay at the Banthai better for couples i think a lot less kids screaming about

been there done that lol

right in the middle of Patong spot on location close to everything

will be there this time next week YAY!

Broadbeach...
Level Contributor
1,347 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Patong or Karon for first timers?

I prefer Kata Beach during the day and Patong at Night.

Patong during the day doesn't do it for me but Kata is great to chill and has the best Beach on the Island.

We travel into Patong about every 3rd night and the Tuk Tuk is $20 return,no big deal.

Kata has some great Bars right on the Beach and after the bars close,there's usually a Beach Party

9. Re: Patong or Karon for first timers?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 October 2013, 22:05
Manchester
Level Contributor
144 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Patong or Karon for first timers?

Patong is pretty full on! Me and my husband went a couple of years ago and really didn't care for it. If you want lots of seriously loud clubs, bars and are going purely for the nightlife Patong is for you. The beach isn't that great either.....but you can always hire a scooter and travel about in the day.