We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking advice from someone who has been in Phuket in July..

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
131 posts
37 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking advice from someone who has been in Phuket in July..

We're debating between the Phuket area and the Koh Samui area for our vacation next July. Obviously, Koh Sumui would be the better choice weather wise, but I am really drawn to the interesting coastline and other activities in the Phuket area -- plus we're flying home from this leg of our journey (to Chicago) and the flight options are better from Phuket. If you've been there in July, what was the weather REALLY like? Were your days a complete wash-out, or just brief tropical showers? I don't mind a little rain, but I don't want to have to sit in the hotel everyday either.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,529 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking advice from someone who has been in Phuket in July..

I've not been to Phuket in July and would alwayd pick Samui at that time of year.

Remember its not just rain but very rough seas at this time. Beaches can be red flagged and all water activites severly disrupted. This included boat trips.

Edited: 01 November 2013, 14:45
London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,004 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking advice from someone who has been in Phuket in July..

www.holiday-weather.com/phuket/averages/july/

http://www.phuket.com/island/weather.htm

You will find this quote on the Phuket.com website.

Locals enjoy June, July and August since the weather is usually fine and the island's favourite haunts remain uncrowded. The usual pattern is brief but heavy showers, with plenty of sunshine between downpours. Everything is a little less expensive at this time of year, as well. Temperatures range between 70F and 90F (20C to 33C).

The problem is of course that at this time of year no one can say for sure what the weather will be like for this particular year.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
174 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking advice from someone who has been in Phuket in July..

Hi,

We have been twice in July and it rained only a couple of days out of the holiday. Just brief down pours and then back to sunshine.

The beach can be a bit rougher but we still got in some water tours :)

Anita

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
1,859 posts
177 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking advice from someone who has been in Phuket in July..

We were in Phuket late June this year and the first 5 days it pretty much rained all day every day.....quite unprecedented but luck of the draw. At least it was warm. Next year, who knows? We were in Samui in July and it was perfect.

BTW for interesting coastline Kabi / Ao Nang is much better than Phuket IMO.

Edited: 01 November 2013, 19:44
Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,600 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking advice from someone who has been in Phuket in July..

I have been to Phuket in July for the last three years and found it pretty good.

melbourne, australia
Level Contributor
39 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking advice from someone who has been in Phuket in July..

Was there the first 2 weeks of July this year. It had rain first 2 days and last day. It poured for like 30mins, although 1 day it rained all day. Didn't stop us. We still loved it

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
405 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking advice from someone who has been in Phuket in July..

We have been in July a few times and as mentioned it is pot luck... Sorry..

We have had rain where it flooded the town one day and I mean flooded.!! But, within 2 or 3 hours the sun was out and you would think it hadn't rained one drop.. 99% of the time it is heavy brief periods, and like others have said we still love it..!!

Also, don't be put off Koh Samui, I have been there and absolutely loved it..!! Beaches are beautiful, and lots of nice restaurants, bars etc..

It's all good, and each has pro's and con's... I'm sure you will be happy either way..!!

Have fun regardless..!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeking advice from someone who has been in Phuket in July..

My wife works in education so we go for 2 weeks generally leaving late in the last week of June which is one of the school holiday periods in Australia.

2007 - 12 days of goood weather, sometimes overcast, last 2 days a lot of rain.

2008 - 1st 2 days non stop rain then 12 days of great weather, some overcast.

2010 - 1st week pretty much rained all of the time then the second week was just about perfect.

2011 - 2 weeeks of great weather.

2012 - Awful, we had 3 great days in Bangkok, 1 good day on Phuket and then rain raiin and more rain non stop.

As you can see it's a bit of a mixed bag at this time of year. Of course it's always hot, the shoppings great, there's massages to be had, bars to go to lot's of great food to eat but trying to predict the weather is an exercise in futility. You've just gotta roll the dice I guess.

Edited: 04 November 2013, 09:31
Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seeking advice from someone who has been in Phuket in July..

As others have said it varies, we lived on Phuket for over 10 years and it varies so much.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
917 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seeking advice from someone who has been in Phuket in July..

Be prepared for anything, ,

Ive been going that time of year for a long time , and its hard to predict, for us its been more positive than negative though, we havent had too many occasions where the weather has been shocking so that you are indoors all day .