We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just how seedy is it???

Glasgow, Scotland
Level Contributor
104 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Just how seedy is it???

Hi all,

For anyone who has been to Phuket before could they please tell me just how seedy the place is? My girlfriend and I are looking for a nice place to spend Christmas this year and as we fly out of Phuket to Dubai on the 26th it makes sense to consider there. The other option is Phi Phi with us just catching the ferry back on the 26th and onwards to the airport. We are 31 and 29 if that helps.

Thanks

Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just how seedy is it???

What do you mean ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
14,319 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just how seedy is it???

Why have you posted the same question twice ??

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
11,441 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just how seedy is it???

It depends on what you consider seedy really.

I don't think its very seedy at all, but if that's what you're after, then probably best to go to Pattaya which I think is a lot more seedy than Patong

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just how seedy is it???

Phuket is a very large island . In Patong you have Bangla road and surrounds ,with a lot of bar beers ,girly bars,and gogo bars . Also in Kata center and Karon there are some areas with girly bars. But usually it's just 6 or 8 girls sitting around saying hello to people. And usually they are very nice and not just looking to score. We have had many a fun night playing connect four and a few drinks with them. Most are quite reserved in public .(No nudity). So don't worry about it . If you don't like to see that ,keep walking. It is part of life in S E Asia. And most of these girls are just trying to make some money to help there families . So try not to judge them ,and like i said just keep walking.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,093 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just how seedy is it???

Many parts of Phuket are absolutely beautiful....

Bangla Road as mentioned would be considered to be the seediest part,however even then,families pram their little kids down Bangla at night,be it early night...

Bangla Road is an interesting people watching area,I believe one must see at least once in their lifetime for the experience....You'll never ever know if you never ever go....!!

The seediness is behind the facades in the "ahem" shows....And even then you would only know this happens by the hawkers pushing the shows only in Bangla....

Koh Phi Phi is beautiful tho' extremely quiet....

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,384 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just how seedy is it???

Yep its a choice thing, its a seedy or not as you choose, but all depends on your own opinion. There are many that will say its very seedy.

As others have said, it depends where you go, and yes Bangla rd in Patong is prob the seediest. But in my last too trips to Patong, i did not walk down Bangla once, so no need to see it if you choose not too.

You could consider Phi Phi, but have a look at Khao Lak, its on Mainland about 1 hour north of Phuket airport, so you dont have to worry about ferry. Much quieter area than Phuket, and still beach side

Michelle

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
6,083 posts
109 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just how seedy is it???

Hi, I dont find patong seedy at all. I must admit, I do not go to the ping pong shows or the likes. I love sitting in Bangla people watching, or just sitting in a little bar talking to the lovely thai girls. Like others have said there a re a lot quieter places than patong.

cheers

Viv

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
572 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Just how seedy is it???

Besides Khao Lak (which is very nice) Mai Khao is another nice beach area with very nice resorts. It's about 20 minutes from Phuket airport. I've stayed at the Marriott Renaissance there, and will stay at a Marriott condo for the New Year next month. It's easy to avoid the seedier parts. You have to go out of your way to get to Patong from Mai Khao.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,590 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Just how seedy is it???

I think it's worth pointing out that the "seedy" area is one street in the whole township of Patong. Patong is pretty touristy with lots of restaurants and markets and bars. Of course there'es also McDonalds, KFC and Burger King. It's very busy and there is lots of traffic. It's a great hopping off point to go on day trips all around the island and once you are in the grounds of your hotel you will find it peaceful and relaxing. You can easily spend your entire holiday in Phuket without going near Bangla road if you want.

Queensland...
Level Contributor
1,124 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just how seedy is it???

Wife and I always go to Bangla Rd. the Aussie bar is our favourite, lots of TVs with sport on. Drinks are not too dear. never had any problems there. In fact love Phuket. Going back in May. I will also say we are both in our seventies, been there 9 times and love it.

hervey