We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Traveling to Phuket in January

Portland, Oregon...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Traveling to Phuket in January

Will be flying into Bangkok for a few days and then thinking of checking out Phuket and Kho su mai for 4 days each. Curious if I should make the flight reservations now or if I can easily do it while in Bangkok? Same with hotels. Should I try and make reservations now, or is it easy to take a cab from the airport in to Karon or Patong and just find a place to stay? Looking to spend $50-$100 US a night for something clean in the middle of everything where transportation would not be needed. Any recommendations?

Windsor, United...
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
20,400 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Traveling to Phuket in January

Hi,

You shall be in Thailand during a very busy time, do book your flights and hotels ASAP. For flights check out Air Asia: www.airasia.com and Nok Air: www.nokair.com

Others can better advise on hotels.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Traveling to Phuket in January

Hi

If you mean this end of year you will be struggle to be the flights that suits you. If you are doing both Phuket and koh smaui I hope you do know that theses designations are in opposite if the country.

Koh Samui is the east coast and Jan is the tail end of rainy season the ocean will be rough this time of year.

Phuket is in the west coast Jan is the best item as its du season in this side of the country. Phuket have more flights to and from Bangkok and international.

From Bangkok to Phuket you can use those low cost airlines suggested by Andy. From Phuket to koh Samui you have only Bangkok airways. There are 5 flights daily to and from Phuket, Samui. You can fly back to Bangkok with Bangkok airs or Thai airs from koh Samui. Or you can ferry back from koh Samui to mainland the with Air Asia or Nok airs back to Bangkok.

If you do koh Samui first you can either fly direct to koh Samui from Bangkok with Bangkok airways or Thai airs. Or you can fly to mainland with bus and ferry across. From koh Samui with Bangkok airway to Phuket and Phuket back to Bangkok whir those low cost airlines mentions.

Note : December / January is PEAK season you will have to look both air tickets and accoms ASAP. For accoms as you brows it on here www.sawadee.com/

Cheers,

Edited: 17 November 2013, 23:58
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Traveling to Phuket in January

Wow for a destination expert you are a little off on Phuket and Samui being "opposite side of the country".?

Portland, Oregon...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Traveling to Phuket in January

Thank you! I will look in to both of these.

Portland, Oregon...
Level Contributor
23 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Traveling to Phuket in January

Thanks for the heads up on Kho sumai being at the end of their rainy season with possibly rough water. That will not be what I'm looking for. We have about 8 days after spending time in Bangkok, so thought we would check out a couple places. Maybe there is enough to do ant see around Phuket that we don't need to fly anywhere else. Any suggestions on what it somewhat close to Phuket that we could visit for a few days and get there by ferry, speed boat etc...??

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Traveling to Phuket in January

Yes .Stay in Phuket area .We went over to Samui a few years ago in January. Weather was cloudy ,waves were big . We couldn't wait to go back to Phuket for calm blue water and sunny weather. There is an island 40 minute boat ride south of Phuket. Ko Racha. 3 or 4 beautiful beaches with white sand and clear blue water. Great snorkelling . Also there are accomodations to suit all budgets. We always stay at Bungalow Raya. Bamboo huts overlooking the main bay.....Brilliant and affordable $ 50 us per nite. Over a small hill (5 min) is beautiful Siam beach.One of our favourites anywhere. Nearby "TOM" bar is a little slice of Jamaica in asia. No real roads or cars and island is walkable in about 20 minutes. I highly reccomend 2 or 3 nights.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Traveling to Phuket in January

To # 3 if Phuket and koh Samui not on opposite of the country and what is it then? Koh Samui is in the east coast Phuket in the west coast. The flight take 55 mins, by bus and ferry take 7-10 hours between these two destinations. Im from Thailand so I think I know my country pretty well.

Tonya H I would skip koh Samui. Maybe stay in Phuket 4 days take a ferry to koh phi phi for 3 nights take ferry to Ao nang stay 1 night and fly back to Bangkok from krabi airport.

Cheers,

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Traveling to Phuket in January

And sorry sweetpea i know what your getting at Different sides of the peninsula .One facing the Andaman sea.The other in the gulf of Thailand. Though they are not that far apart.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Traveling to Phuket in January

Well i would consider Hat Yai And Chang Mai opposite side of the country.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Traveling to Phuket in January

Please no hard feeling two4travel :)

In generally for the Thais we only 4 regions South, north, northeastern and central. But I found its easy to explains to a visitors this way.