We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Baan Yamu on Cape Yamu- a couple of questions

Arizona
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Baan Yamu on Cape Yamu- a couple of questions

Hello, my wife and I are travelling to Phuket from the US April 16-26 of 2014. I booked out airfare and lodging at Baan Yamu on Cape Yamu. I am very well aware that this facility is on the quiet east side of the island away from the popular beaches. We aren't beach people but prefer to lounge at the pool and do day trips to beaches and other sites. The facility will afford room for us to spread out as we will be bringing our 6 and 9 year old.

What should we expect for a taxi ride straight across the island to Surin Beach? Also, is there a place of recommended drivers to hire for the day somewhere on this board.

Is this hotel easy enough to get to the marina for tours out to the islands off the east coast of Phuket. Also, read one review about being able to catch long tail boats of the small pier on Cape Yamu...is this accurate?

Also, did the Baan Yamu used to be called Club Yamu until recently? I can't seem to find more then a couple of reviews on "Baan Yamu".

Thanks in advance.

Phuket Thailand
Level Contributor
3,479 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Baan Yamu on Cape Yamu- a couple of questions

Hello Kad. I live not so far from Yamu, so I can can answer some of your questions.

Yamu is a pretty spot, but as far as I know there are no nice beaches there. Seems that is not a problem for you anyway.

Taxi to Surin should cost you say 500-600 baht one way, but you may well be obliged to use the taxis at the resort as there won't be many other taxis around. These may well be more expensive. If you are looking for a day trip then perhaps look here on the forum for a recommended driver you can hire for the day. May work out cheaper, I don't know. If you contact me when you get here (pm is fine) maybe I can find a driver in the area you can get for the right price. Often our drivers don't have much to do between 9am and 4pm. They aren't employed directly by us.

For tours to Phang Nga Bay on the east side of Phuket you are close to Au Por (Po Bay on some maps) where many boats leave. About 15 minutes away at the most.

For trips to Phi Phi or Racha you would be better to find an operator that leaves from Boat Lagoon Marina or Royal Phuket Marina. These marinas are about 25 minutes away from Yamu, southerly direction. If you choose a trip that leaves from Chalong Bay you will have over an hour in a car to get to the boat.

I don't know about long tail boats at Yamu, but that is probably correct. In any event you can get long tail boats from Au Por and Bang Rong, not far away from Yamu.

Make sure you check out the Gibbon Rehab Centre and Waterfall. Not far from Yamu.

Can't help you with the other questions, sorry.

All the best,

Mark.

Phuket Sail Tours.

Arizona
Level Contributor
59 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Baan Yamu on Cape Yamu- a couple of questions

Mark, thank you so very much for all the wonderful information. It is extremely helpful.

I will most definitely drop you a line when we arrive in Phuket.

Regards,

Keith

3. Re: Baan Yamu on Cape Yamu- a couple of questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2014, 05:19