We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

driving to Phang Nga Bay and boating to islands from there

Six Mile, South...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
driving to Phang Nga Bay and boating to islands from there

I read in Fodors for those of us who have vehicles you can save over half driving there and taking long boat etc for 1/2 the price of tours from Phuket by going to east most bay on arrival in Phang Nga Bay. Has anyone done this? is it practical? Anymore specifics would be helpful.

Phuket Cheap Tour
Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Air Tours, Eco Tours, City Tours
Laguna Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Rawai Beach, Phuket
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
942 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: driving to Phang Nga Bay and boating to islands from there

We've done it a few times.

It is not a bad idea although you have to bargain a bit for a good price, but expect to pay about 2,000 baht for the boat and driver.

He will take you around, and you can negotiate as to which sights you want to see: caves, lagoons, small beaches for a swim perhaps, and of course James Bond island, and the floating restaurant.

I personally thought the floating restaurants were a bit of a ripoff, but just expect to pay more than normal for your meal there.

I remember it was raining and so, they were selling the 20 baht rain ponchos to people for 100 baht.

I don't like to see that.

There are few places you can start your trip from.

Look on a map (google earth?) and find a pier to the south of most of the islands, you'll find signs along the way.

I think it's best not to go to the most popular one.

Traffic and parking can be a problem.

I think we paid around 2,000 baht for the boat in low (summer) season.

Edited: 20 January 2014, 01:25
Australia
Level Contributor
313 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: driving to Phang Nga Bay and boating to islands from there

We also did this a few years ago although can't remember prices. We had not trouble finding a boat at the pier and there was also plenty of parking. They will stop where you want and for as long as you want. It was a much more flexible way of doing it - highly recommended.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
44,762 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: driving to Phang Nga Bay and boating to islands from there

An alternative suggestion.

If you follow Highway 4 when you leave Phuket Island just before you reach Phang Nga City take the right turn signposted Koh Phang Nga National Park and drive past the National Park HQ to the pier at the bottom. You can park outside the Education Centre where there are decent toilet facilities to use before taking a trip and place to buy water to take with you. There are guys there to negotiate a tour based on what you want to do and how long. We go here each year with friends and pay about 1400 baht for a longtail + driver for a 4 hour trip including stopping at Koh Panyi, the floating Muslim Village (which IS a bit of a rip off but interesting nevertheless) plus stop at sea canoe platform for sea canoe into the mangroves and Hongs (400 baht extra pp) and then out to turn around point at James Bond Island which is DEFINITELY a rip off as they charge a separate NP fee and it is full of hordes of trippers queueing at tacky souvenir stalls. You can have lunch at a restaurant further down from the pier on your return and on your way back to Phuket about 5km from rejoining Highway 4 take a U turn then first left to well signposted Wat Suwan Kuha, the famous Monkey Temple, a cave temple which is home a giant reclining Buddha and LOTS of monkeys. Pics at https:/…

Mentioned in this post
Koh Panyi
Koh Panyi
140 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
4. Re: driving to Phang Nga Bay and boating to islands from there

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 January 2015, 06:19