We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao lak or Khao sok daytrip with rental car

Six Mile, South...
2 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Khao lak or Khao sok daytrip with rental car

Opinions on which is best as I am staying on north phuket and can you on location get discount tours such as elephant safaris and bamboo/canoe trips?? going in mid april.

Rawai Beach, Phuket
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
886 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao lak or Khao sok daytrip with rental car

I highly recommend the lake tour of Khao Sok NP complete with staying overnight in the bamboo rafts.

BUT: If you go when Thai schools are on holiday (during Songkran) in April, it will be quite crowded.

Doesn't mean you can't do it.

We went during Songkran one year and had a lot of fun.

But, my wife and son speak Thai.

Good luck and have fun.

If you go, go to the dam breast and make a deal with the boat people there (just north of the dam)

That's how to get your best deal.

I hear that prices are up right now, but that's most likely because it's high season.

April won't be high season, but the Thai families will be there.

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
337 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao lak or Khao sok daytrip with rental car

Khaolak becomes famous because of the Similan dive site, otherwise it is nothing special about this place. IMHO Khao Sok will be more worthwhile.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,810 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao lak or Khao sok daytrip with rental car

Similan Islands, Surin Islands, Koh Tachai, Phang Nga Bay, Khao Sok all an hour away,24km of glorious beaches. Yep, Khao Lak's really got nothing going for it! ;-)

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,122 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Khao lak or Khao sok daytrip with rental car

Re' rental car.

Be aware that some smaller rental outfits on Phuket do not like their cars being taken north of Khao Lak due to potential difficulties in service/recovery in the event of problems :-)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,810 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Khao lak or Khao sok daytrip with rental car

jjumpstart

Good point! One of reasons I now rent with Budget, not only because of reluctance of the hire outfits to rent for use with Khao Lak as base but because of the superb on the spot support I got from Budget when a drunken Thai tried to take us off the road.

6. Re: Khao lak or Khao sok daytrip with rental car

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 January 2015, 05:18