We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

first time help?

Oldham, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
first time help?

hello looking at trying thailand for the first time next april/may, been looking at phuket, wondered what area is recommended? We are a couple mid to late 20's, looking for somewhere with nice restaurants in the evening and bars with entertainment on (singers/quiz's etc) not majorly into clubbing but want something with a bit of something goin on. in the day looking for nice beaches and a few day trips to do.

Also what kind of spending money would you recommend for 3 weeks not including accomadation, just for food and drinks a few trips and a few souveniers, and maybe the odd handbag lol,

any help would be greatly appreciated,

thanks in advance

Leanne

Rotherham, England...
Level Contributor
875 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: first time help?

Patong sounds like what you want, the liveliest of Phukets resorts though in April it will be towards the end of high season so will not be manic. In May prices of hotels etc will drop significantly.

Whilst you're there be sure to check out Cocktails & Dreams, it's very popular amongst couples:

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g297930-…

Budget I'd say circa £2000 depending on how much sight seeing you are doing - you can do it on less if you need to. You can get a decent meal for 2 for 500Bt/£10 at somewhere like The Islander or Number 1 Restaurant. Handbags you should be able to pick up for 500-1000Bt / £10-£20. Beers will be circa 100baht / £2, cocktails 150baht/£3 depending on the bar. Day trips on average I'd estimate at 1500bt/£30 per person. Hope that helps.

With 3 weeks do you want to spend it all in Phuket? You could travel over to Krabi via Phi Phi. Fly up to Chiang Mai and do some sightseeing in the mountain region.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,214 posts
346 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: first time help?

hi

As a first trip don't spend all 3 weeks in Phuket. Yes, Patong does sound the place for you - although the beach is not as nice as other areas it is still a nice beach. There are better beaches. I would think about Chiang Mai in the north of Thailand as well.

You can fly around Thailand easily and cheaply!

We allow around £100-£150 per day (exluding hotels) and it covers most things, lunch, snacks, drinks, some tours, transfers, etc.

London, United...
Destination Expert
for Thailand
Level Contributor
9,004 posts
158 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: first time help?

I agree with TravellingMitch

with 3 weeks unless you really do just want to chill on beaches all day I would spend a few days in Bangkok and probably Chiang Mai in the north as well as Phuket.

Oldham, United...
Level Contributor
133 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: first time help?

thanks for the reply guys, i have been looking at how easy it is to travel as i did like the sound of chaing mai but would only want spend maybe 5 days there, is this easy to book once there? or would it be cheaper to book over here? was always thinkin of hiring a car from patong to travel around to the likes of krabi and khoa lak etc that are only a couple of hrs away.

thanks for the idea on spends that helps alot.

Rotherham, England...
Level Contributor
875 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: first time help?

You could get a ferry over to Krabi, maybe via Phi Phi. Have a few days in Krabi, Ao Nang or Koh Lanta. If you're over there in May you will find accom cheap and plentiful so can book once over there, April maybe a little less so. Chiang Mai is an easy 2hr flight from Phuket - check out Air Asia (and Nok Air for Bangkok to Chiang Mai/Phuket).

My advice would be to plan some possible things to do before your trip and then when you are over there just pick from that list of possibilities so you're not wasting time researcing things over there.

6. Re: first time help?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 February 2015, 06:19