We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
719 posts
31 reviews
Save Topic
Thailand Tips for the almost "senior citizen" folks...?

My parents, who are 58 and 60, want to travel to Thailand this April.

Having travelled there with my friend in my mid-20s, I know what I want to do but I'm not sure what's good for older folks.

Can someone suggest good things to do in Bangkok and also Phuket?

I was just gonna use the same itinerary I used during my trip in 2008 but that included white-water rafting, jungle trek, snorkelling/Phi Phi island tour, tiger temple, floating market etc.

Can someone recommend a reputable tour operator locally? My friend and I booked ours through one of those tour stalls along the side of the road in Phuket, we didn't get ripped off and they were on time. So, not sure if it's still better to book there than in Australia? (Silly question.)

Thank you.

Rotherham, England...
Level Contributor
875 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thailand Tips for the almost "senior citizen" folks...?

They might like to do an organised tour of the Phuket or a DIY version. This would include Bug Buddha and Wat Chalong; a stop in Phuket Town particularly the area round Thalang Road - whilst there The Natural Restaurant is a popular choice. Perhaps a quick free "tour" of a Cashew factor - actually more like a 15 mins marketing gimmick but if you like cashes it's worth it. Then catch the sunset from a viewpoint.

Take a look at this map: http://goo.gl/maps/LPy7r

Also in Phuket they may like to visit a show one evening such as Simon Cabaret, Phuket Fantasea, or Siam Niramit. As for the Island tours I think they would be perfectly suitable for old folks - maybe omit the snorkling if they're not up for that.

Bangkok might get more responses in the Bangkok forum but there's The Grand Palace, a floating Market, tour of Chinatown, boat trip on the river, shopping in Siam Square, day trip out to River Kwai, day trip to Ayutthaya, etc all suitable for the elderly.

Edited: 07 February 2014, 11:19
Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,381 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thailand Tips for the almost "senior citizen" folks...?

Hi,

If your parents have the time they may be interested in a day trip to Kanchanaburi, especially so if the visit coincides with April 25, Anzac Day. Elderly people at the age of 58 and 60 will be able to do most things !

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,202 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thailand Tips for the almost "senior citizen" folks...?

Hi

you are only as old as you think you are. I do not think of myself as senior citizen and I am 63

I live and teach in thailand ride my mountain bike every where when I am not walking or hikeing

can easyly keep up with my 33 yr old son but that is me but I have seen 45 yr olds I would call senior citizens

LOL .

Before you put the old folks in a retirement home and or out to pasture maybe they might like Chaing Mai better than Phuket as Phuket is such a major tourist area so built up and crowded. Ask them what they want to do and see it just might surprise you.

Phuket Thailand
Level Contributor
3,433 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thailand Tips for the almost "senior citizen" folks...?

Hello Andy.

About this: "Elderly people at the age of 58 and 60 will be able to do most things"

Firstly, IT AINT ELDERLY,

and secondly, can do ANYTHING.

Right, that's you sorted.

Cool, why not stick this web page under the oldies noses, and see what they like, plenty of good ideas and tips here: cathyandgarystravelpages Another young couple, by the way.

Good luck,

Mark.

Phuket Sail Tours.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,381 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thailand Tips for the almost "senior citizen" folks...?

That's the point I was making Captain M, I am 58 years young and don't consider myself elderly.

Phuket Thailand
Level Contributor
3,433 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thailand Tips for the almost "senior citizen" folks...?

Well you sound like an old fart to me.

Live long enough to embarrass your children.

Mark.

Harbin, China
Destination Expert
for Kanchanaburi
Level Contributor
22,381 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thailand Tips for the almost "senior citizen" folks...?

Mark,

Quite right, I am. Let's hope we can both embarrass our grandchildren.

Cheers, Andy.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,375 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thailand Tips for the almost "senior citizen" folks...?

OH so many oldies on here, me just a 50year old spring Chicken lol

Coolitz, your parents any or may not be elderly, only you know, but my guess is, if the want to travel they are not.

In Bangkok, I suggest you look up a company called We Tour Thailand, they oeganise great day trip there. The have a FB page as well

https://www.facebook.com/#!/wetourthailand.page?fref=ts

For Phuket yes you can still book your trips on the side of the street, but if you love your parent and want them to come home, please dont book trips like Phi Phi there. Use one of the reputable operators , ( like the old fart above Captain Marks) Phuket Sail Tours, Simba or Off Spray. These you must book via their website Your parents may also prefer the beautiful scenry of Phang Nga Bay over Phi Phi , I do

Hire a driver for the day trip, many good ones on the right hand side of this page. I have used Daj and Panya, both great

Michelle

Edited: 07 February 2014, 21:08
South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,941 posts
420 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thailand Tips for the almost "senior citizen" folks...?

Hahahaha that's so funny, never thought of myself nearly being a senior citizen. Does this mean its time to stop doing all the fun things we do in Thailand and start going to bed at 8pm. Damn no more snorkeling or atv tours or helicopter rides and worst of all no more driving around Thailand :)

Coolitz, they are not old and can see and do absolutely anything, suggest some of the things you have done, they would probably enjoy it :)

Cathy

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
5,202 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thailand Tips for the almost "senior citizen" folks...?

hi

Here is a Line or old joke I use when some one young asks me what time I go to bed

I answer "I always try to be in bed by 8 so i can get up and go home by midnight."