We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Patong Thailand

1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Patong Thailand

Me and my partner are going to patong on 31st March for a 2 week stay. Is there anything we should know before going over. Any tips, money ideas, how to carry personal items (phone, money, id) etc during our stay. Anything would be great.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,269 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Patong Thailand

Lots of info in the FAQ's on the right. Note FAQ's dont show on the mobile app.

Sydney
Level Contributor
107 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Patong Thailand

Always one person points to FAQ's. My advice , take cash and store it in your safe and exchange when needed. Carrying wallets etc in your pockets is fine, I personally wouldn't keep them in a back pack, others might. We have a little zip up wallet I keep in my boardies when on day trips so it doesn't matter if it gets wet as you'll probably be there for songkran on the 13th. Best advice is to smile as Thai people are happy and smiles go a long way. Also read Cathy and Gary's site for good info on pricing and tips!!! Hope this helps u out a little...

Rotherham, England...
Level Contributor
875 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Patong Thailand

Songkran will start on 13th April, so if you're still there on that date read up on that.

Also I'd recomend a visit to Cocktails & Dreams, it's very popular amongst couples and very highly rated!

tripadvisor.co.uk/Attraction_Review-g297930-…

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,125 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Patong Thailand

If you send me your email address by TA private message I will email you a word file with heaps of info (that I put together for my daughter's first trip).

Sorry, but can't attach a word file here.

Macksville...
Level Contributor
381 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Patong Thailand

I agree with EVERYTHING Matt and Koby said,, Something I will pass on ( we were told this on out last trip),if you carry a backpack,, wear it in front of you not on the back.. also,, don't take scratchies from people on motor scooters (or anywhere for that matter ) they are timeshare touts,,just smile and keep walking,, and above all have a good time you will be fine,, we are also heading over there on the 31st March for our 4th trip,, cant wait

Edited: 15 February 2014, 05:28
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,531 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Patong Thailand

Don't carry a handbag. It makes you a target for theft.

Linda

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Patong Thailand

Patong was the least favourite place we visited on our recent trip to Thailand

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
39,345 posts
96 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Patong Thailand

If you consider renting a scooter when you are there please read this Traveler Article about Licence Requirements tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-c133830/Thail…

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,918 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Patong Thailand

Do not leave your drinks unattended.

London, United...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Patong Thailand

Change money over there, I'm heading over there in April, but have been there once before, the exchange for the pound is much better there than here. Get a taxi from the airport to patong, it's quicker, an not expensive. Getting around the place is easy, there is a local bus that goes to phuket town for about 50 baht? Cheap!! Or you can hire a scooter, which I did last time. Has an awesome time. They ask for your passport, which I handed over with doubt, but all was fine at the end, no problems at all. Have a great time.