We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3 bottles of wine - 2 people

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
176 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
3 bottles of wine - 2 people

Hi,

How srtrict are the poweres that be with regards to myself and wife bringing in 3 bottles of wine (750ml each), so 250ml over the legal limit.....will i expect to loose it, pay a fine of some sort or

just have a few bart "handy" ?

Cheers

S

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,689 posts
243 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 3 bottles of wine - 2 people

We have brought in 2 or 3 bottles of our fave Aussie and NZ wines in several times, depending on our checked luggage capacity - tenderly wrapped in clothing and buffered by our pillows! We have never been stopped or queried bringing it in. The only time we headed towards customs declarations they almost shooed us through, shaking their heads and smiling as always. They had no intention of checking our incoming luggage - may be we look too honest, but I dont know anyone who has been checked. The only time we had problems was transferring to Koh Samui we lost duty free alcohol in hand luggage, because we had stayed in Bangkok overnight and not transferred it to our checked luggage.

I doubt that you'd be stopped based on our experience, of a dozen or more trips to Thailand over the last decade. When we were there last Nov we noticed that there is a combination wine cellar/restaurant in Jungceylon now. They had French and Aus wines there, not a massive selection but more than we expected

Now at some of the restaurants we went to, they have improved on their wine list options from the previous emphasis on cheap Chilean wine. Thailand has a fledgling wine industry based in Chiang Mai I believe, but unfortunately we found it to be a bit like battery acid...

Edited: 26 February 2014, 07:55
Bangkok
Level Contributor
2,294 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: 3 bottles of wine - 2 people

1 litre each. Any more will result in a fine, possibly very large. Of course people will say they have never been searched, I have. On one trip they were x-raying every single bag going through customs looking for 'whiskey'.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
416 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 3 bottles of wine - 2 people

I would definitely just risk it... The worst in my experience would be maybe lose 1...

Pune, India
Level Contributor
69 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 3 bottles of wine - 2 people

You could end up paying a fine equal to 4-10 times the cost off all 3 bottles + have all of them siezed.

You are quiet clearly and intentionally violating law.

Their was a post last week about some guy who had pay 1000 euro for carrying more than allowed cigarettes.

Pune, India
Level Contributor
69 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 3 bottles of wine - 2 people

here is the link to post

tripadvisor.in/ShowTopic-g293916-i3687-k7216…

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,575 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 3 bottles of wine - 2 people

Why don't you just buy 2 1 litre bottles of wine. They sell them in Dan Murphys. That is what we do.

Linda

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 3 bottles of wine - 2 people

My advice is simple,

Dont risk it, the fines can be massive & not worth the stress

Vinny

Perth, Western...
Level Contributor
176 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 3 bottles of wine - 2 people

Thanks all....

The Dan Muphy idea is a good one.

Also, if i did take 3 and be 250ml over the limit with us, i would declare it, so i doubt if i would be fined $1000's

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,965 posts
124 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 3 bottles of wine - 2 people

Pointless to carry 3 bottles then, if you declare it they will take one.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
41,768 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: 3 bottles of wine - 2 people

As pointed out in previous replies, you are not just declaring that you are only 250ml over the limit and will be fined on that, the limit is 2 litres and you are exceeding it so you stand to have all 3 bottles confiscated and a fine/penalty based on 2.25liyres not 0.25! Is it really worth it for 1 extra bottle of wine when there are palatable alternatives available in Thailand that won't break the bank or poison you?