We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing Money from Baht to GBP in Phuket? or back at Home?

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
Changing Money from Baht to GBP in Phuket? or back at Home?

Hi everyone,

sorry if you have been asked this question many times before, but i have a quick question, I know that it's better to take cash to phuket and exchange it out there, but i was wondering, is it also better to exchange any left over Baht back to pound sterling before leaving phuket? or is it better to do it once we are back in the UK??

also, i was thinking of taking around £2000 cash with me...given that we are there for 8 days and paying for some of the activities that we are doing before going out there, and that the majority of this money will be used for food/transport/general souvenir shopping and any last minute excursions, is this an adequate amount to take? or is it worth taking more?

sorry again, it's my first visit to Phuket and am unsure of home much things cost out there!!! we're flying out in 4 days...can't wait!!

Oxford, United...
Level Contributor
231 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing Money from Baht to GBP in Phuket? or back at Home?

Never tried but I would bet you get a better rate to GBP in Phuket.

Check the rate in your local bank before you go on holiday and then see what you can obtain in Phuket.

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing Money from Baht to GBP in Phuket? or back at Home?

Hi

Thailand definitely for better rate.

Read this tripadvisor.com/Travel-g293915-s601/Thailand…

London, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing Money from Baht to GBP in Phuket? or back at Home?

Thanks for your replies guys!

The link to compare the Day to Day currency exchange rates from different banks in the TripAdvisor FAQ does not seem to be working! can you recommend any other sites that offer the same comparisons?

Thanks again

perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing Money from Baht to GBP in Phuket? or back at Home?

Just realized the links doesn't work. Check this one exchangerates.org.uk/Thai-Baht-THB-currency-…

Cheers,

Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
9,668 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing Money from Baht to GBP in Phuket? or back at Home?

The typical strategy of course is that you keep your leftover Thai bahts for the next trip since the majority of people want to return as soon as possible. It is so handy to have small bills and coins immediately when you arrive.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,346 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing Money from Baht to GBP in Phuket? or back at Home?

Change your money once you get to Thailand, but obviously not at the airport. Any money you have left will be good for your next trip, as already said.

Birmingham
Level Contributor
21 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing Money from Baht to GBP in Phuket? or back at Home?

Carrying £2000 in cash seems very risky. Cash machines are everywhere - you will be charged 150 Baht (£3) by the local bank to make a withdrawal but typically you can withdraw up to 20,000 baht (£400) at a time (you will also be subject to your own bank's currency withdrawal charges).

I budget on £100 per day for 2 people to cover lunch, dinner, any incidental expenses and entertainment. With £2000 for 8 days you'll be able to live the high life:)

If you do bring cash, be aware that any damaged or marked notes will not be accepted at local currency exchange booths. Given that most £20 notes in circulation seem to have been marked or scribbled on, finding £2000 worth of pristine notes will be difficult. I've had notes with very minor defacing refused - they are very strict on this.

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
10,346 posts
153 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Changing Money from Baht to GBP in Phuket? or back at Home?

I took £2000 this year, 100 £20 notes of which 17 had writing on, managed to exchange all the money I took without having a single problem or query.

I used the ATM once to take out 20000baht (£370), which cost me £13, so I'm very pleased I took cash to exchange

Rotherham, England...
Level Contributor
875 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Changing Money from Baht to GBP in Phuket? or back at Home?

If you're carrying £2000 in £20's it's quite a wad! So I go to the bank two weeks before I travel and ask for £50 notes, usually picking them up a week later. If you keep the cash on you whilst travelling and then put it in the hotel safe I think the risk is pretty low.

In Thailand they won't accept notes that are torn or have corners missing and some places will even balk at those with writing on.

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
17,441 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Changing Money from Baht to GBP in Phuket? or back at Home?

The new URL of the Day-to-Day exchange rate website is http://daytodaydata.net !

Edited: 13 March 2014, 20:14