We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Travelling Phuket to Koh Samui

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Travelling Phuket to Koh Samui

Hi Everyone,

Doing some research for friends and family travelling to Koh samui for our wedding in Sept.

They have found it a heap cheaper to fly to Phuket and so I'm looking at flights (around $205 return) Phuket to Kohsamui or perhaps private transfer/ferry.

Has anyone done this and know costs/ease to do and rough time. I have looked a everyone else information but it differs greatly.

Time is anywhere for 3 -6hrs across mainland then ferry 1.5 - 2hrs

Cost private transfer $250 - 400 (up to 10 people in mini bus)then ferry around $15 each (plus this would be each way as they would need to do them same on return)

Any info would be appreciated - Both families would have children so i want to make sure this trip is also achievable with kids in tow

Cheers

Jaz

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,436 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Travelling Phuket to Koh Samui

I think the flight on Bangkok Airways is around $215 return and for me this would be the way to go as it is only an hours flight.

You could do the other option but with kids I would do the direct flight .

Edited: 14 March 2014, 03:05
perth
Destination Expert
for Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
20,288 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Travelling Phuket to Koh Samui

Hi

Private car transfers will come cheaper if sharing amongst your guests. The private transfers will get you quicker ( 3-6 hours is just about right) than sharing public bus. You can stop along the way to stretch your legs or toilet stop.

Flying direct is best and fastest but of course is doesn't come cheap.

I'm not sure if there's any flight from where you're to Singapore. If so check Singapore airlines and silk air to koh Samui. We booked our flight via Singapore to koh Samui for end of year and they are cheaper than Thai airways.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,897 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Travelling Phuket to Koh Samui

From Phuket Airport to Don Sak pier in Surat Thani to catch ferry is just over 3 hours. The cost of a 10 seater minibus is reasonable and transfer times are about right so cost is cheaper than flights. So it is basically a cost v convenience decision.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Travelling Phuket to Koh Samui

Thanks everyone! Info greatly appreciated

5. Re: Travelling Phuket to Koh Samui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 March 2015, 05:18