We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What beach is the best to stay at?

Highlands Ranch...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
What beach is the best to stay at?

Hi everyone -

My husband and I are visiting Thailand for the 1st time in November. I'm having a hard time determining the best beach to stay at in Phuket. There are so many options. We want to be a bit secluded, but also not too far away from restaurants and things to do. I'd love to hear some recommendations. Also, do you think it would be worth renting a car or scooter to get around in Phuket? Also, if anyone has specific hotels or Specialty lodging they'd reco we'd love to hear as well. (under $150/night).

Thanks again!

Kelly

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
1. Re: What beach is the best to stay at?

hi Kelly,We once stayed at Horizon Resort in Karon Beach for a week...This is a nice resort within your price bracket....Lovely breakfasts and beautiful pool....

Horizon is close to shopping,restaurants,Patong and Kata beaches....

And every time I am in Phuket,I rent a scooter...However having said this,I am also an experienced motorcyclist with a riders licence....I will not recommend you rent a scooter unless you're an accomplished rider especially riding in Phuket where the traffic is oh so different to most western cities....

Darwin, Australia
Level Contributor
1,405 posts
73 reviews
2. Re: What beach is the best to stay at?

Hi Kelly,

We go to Phuket every November as well & most times we stay in Kamala, 15 minutes from Patong (by tuk tuk approx 300 baht) Kamala is a nice little town with a beautiful beach, great restaurants, nice bars & very relaxing but close enough to the Patong if you want to go. We stay at print Kamala or Aquamarine resort both are very good with great staff, as for riding a scooter in Phuket i wouldnt suggest you try it unless you are a very experienced rider, have a look at the FAQ on the right to find a driver to hire so you can do some day trips & have a look around.

Vinny

Highlands Ranch...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: What beach is the best to stay at?

Great, thank you! I will check out that place!

Highlands Ranch...
Level Contributor
5 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: What beach is the best to stay at?

Thanks!

Colden, New York
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
208 reviews
5. Re: What beach is the best to stay at?

We are here now in Phuket. We are staying in Kata and have a rental car. I would never rent a scooter as the driving here is unbelievable! Scooters to the right, left, front, behind and so much traffic! Also hard to find parking although easier with a scooter to park. It's really up to you and your comfort level. We like the car as we can load it up with beach gear, etc.

We have spent time at Nai Harn beach and Nai Thon beach which are more secluded than Kata, Karon, Patong. However NH has big waves and NT has a strong undertow but there were lifeguards on duty today. The current pushes you in and then pulls you out. I'm not a strong swimmer so I didn't enjoy those beaches as much as my husband and daughter.

Driving I liked the looks of Surin, Kamala and tomorrow we go to Kata Noi.

6. Re: What beach is the best to stay at?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 April 2014, 07:35
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
3,095 posts
32 reviews
7. Re: What beach is the best to stay at?

pO155...??...Ask this question in a new post....!!

Your question has nothing to do with the best beach to stay at....??...

Western Australia...
Level Contributor
337 posts
1 review
8. Re: What beach is the best to stay at?

I think Kata is more beautiful and less crowded than Patong, yet not too far from nightlife and activities. But if you are looking for a more peaceful vacation, take somewhere around Panwa Cape.

Colden, New York
Level Contributor
3,000 posts
208 reviews
9. Re: What beach is the best to stay at?

Went to Kata Noi on March 27. It's very close to Kata but south a bit. Lovely sand, lots of sun beds but again those waves! Not ideal for a not so good swimmer. My husband, daughter and grandson liked the wave action but within a few hours things turned bad. From the beach I saw the lifeguards on jet skis and surf boards throwing life vests to swimmers a bit far out but within my sight. I lost sight of my husband and panicked sending my daughter out to look for him. Turns out he and a bunch got swept up in a strong rip tide. He's an experienced scuba diver with rescue training so he was helping put swimmers getting tired on the jet skis and surf boards. A lifeguard told everyone not too far from shore to get out of the water. So I would not return to this beach but maybe it's just this time of year? A week or so before we were in Khao Lak and the beach area by Le Meridien was very calm and great for swimming. I enjoyed KL much better than Phuket but it is a lot quieter in terms of bars, etc.

I guess it may depend on the time of year you go. In November things could be dramatically different from what I've described for March. All the beaches in Phuket look lovely but Kata, Patong definitely more crowded.

Have a great time wherever you end up!

England
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
20 reviews
10. Re: What beach is the best to stay at?

I would recommend Karon, look at the Centara Karon Hotel has 3 pools and lots of different types of rooms you should find withing your budget, its a 5 min walk to the beach and you walk out of the hotel and round the corner is resturants and bars and shops, you are in between Kata and Patong so ideal loaction.