We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Karon Jbr

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
101 posts
50 reviews
Save Topic
Karon Jbr

We have just come back from 10 nights in Karon and I was undecided about whether to post a JBR, as we really didn't do very much at all, however I like reading them all regardless as it takes me back to paradise, so here goes!

We arrived on Saturday 15th March on Thai airways. Having always previously flown Bangkok airways on little planes it was strange to arrive in Phuket on a rammed 747, another jumbo arrived at the same time as us and the arrivals hall was complete bedlam compared to previous visits. Luckily we had a transfer arranged and were out and on our way swiftly.

Going up Patong Hill there appeared to have been a nasty accident involving about 5 cars, it really is a dangerous stretch of road.

We arrived at the Centara Villas at 11 am and were so pleased to be in our villa by 11.30 as we had notified them of our early arrival. We had a pool villa so it was off with the jeans, on with the bikini, into the pool and relax....we're here!!

After all the reports of wall to wall sunshine we were a bit dismayed when the heavens opened at 3pm, but what the hell, it didn't last long and we were down in Karon for cocktails and dinner by 7. Not sure where we ate, but it was a small family place with no name just up from the Red Onion. I was craving shrimp cakes so had these along with Penang beef curry, absolute heaven, have never seen shrimp cakes anywhere in Thailand apart from Phuket!

To be honest the rest of our time followed the same lines, lunch at Kai's beach bar, a 5 minute walk from the villas, where the food was amazing. Overlooking the beach which is quite peaceful at that end, with a cold Singha was complete paradise. Then drinks in Karon - the Calypso bar just off the main road up from the Circle had live music every night and the female singer was great, although the repertoire did get a bit repetitive after a few days! Then onto somewhere for dinner, I can recommend the Karon Cafe Inn for a good steak as a change from thai fare, it was chargrilled and melt in the mouth.

We did venture into the madness that is Bangla Road for one evening, to meet friends who were staying in Kamala. Got to say it is not our cup of tea and what thoroughly upset me was the guys carrying the poor creatures around for photo opportunities, iguanas and a little slow loris, plus the ignorant tourists who help keep them in business. I cannot believe that this is happening in this day and age, I told one of them he was evil, but obviously he couldn't care less.

So, apart from that, what can I say, we had another wonderful holiday and now, back in chilly England, can only start planning our next Thai adventure!

Heidi

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
101 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Karon Jbr

Oh, and as a postscript, I did post here a few weeks ago enquiring about a decent Italian and discovered that Da Mario, a place we visited 3 years ago, but which was closed last year when we were there was in fact open again. We did go there for dinner and the pizza was really good, as nice as we remembered,

Basingstoke
Level Contributor
194 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Karon Jbr

Hi Heidi

Thanks for that I love reading other people's reports. Glad you had a fab time. We fly out on Tuesday for a month this time and cannot wait.

Lesley

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
174 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Karon Jbr

Hi Heidi

Nice short and sweet JBR, sounds like you had a nice relaxing holiday :)

I too dislike seeing the animals being exploited on Bangala rd :(

Only 2 weeks till we will be there :)

Anita

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Karon Jbr

I really enjoyed your report and it's the kind of holiday that we like just chilling out with good food and drink in the sun, I remember you asked about an Italian place so glad you found Mario's was open again.

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
101 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Karon Jbr

Thank you all for your nice comments, Lesley and Anita I'm SO jealous of your forthcoming trips, have a brilliant time!

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
265 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Karon Jbr

Sounds like a great time. We are first timers to Phuket in May so getting a bit excited.

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
101 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Karon Jbr

Yon will love it Nata, have fun!

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,906 posts
416 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Karon Jbr

Nice report Heidi, thanks for sharing :)

Cathy

Bristol, England
Level Contributor
101 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Karon Jbr

Thanks Cathy, I know you all love long reports but we really didn't do enough to come up with much more, lol

Phuket
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
3,672 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Karon Jbr

Thanks for taking the time.