We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Does it rain in May-June in Phuket?

Mumbai
Level Contributor
60 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Does it rain in May-June in Phuket?

Planning to visit Phuket between May 30 to June 5. Does it start raining then? Is it the right season to visit Phuket or the beaches would be soggy. Kindly suggest.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,153 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Does it rain in May-June in Phuket?

Phuket will be in the start of rainy season then.

I've no idea what a soggy beach is.

Melbourne
Level Contributor
916 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Does it rain in May-June in Phuket?

May June is less likely ,

Few months later more likely .

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,431 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Does it rain in May-June in Phuket?

May has a higher rainfall than June, but like any tropical country it is hard to predict.

Have been many times at that time of year and the weather has been OK.

Italy
Level Contributor
39,484 posts
207 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Does it rain in May-June in Phuket?

Hi, we've always been there in May/June and the weathers usually sunny/cloudy in the morning with thunderstorms in the afternoon or evening but the sea although never red flagged when we've been there can be a bit choppy.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
60 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Does it rain in May-June in Phuket?

Basically what I wanted to know is that will the sea activities be on in May end - June first week?

Will we be able to do some basic water sports and make a canoe trip to the James Bond Island and visit the Phi Phi Island? Will thunderstorm makes things difficult? Esp since we have 3 kids and the smallest is just 6 months old.

Kinda concerned. Do let me know.

Thanks!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
4,873 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Does it rain in May-June in Phuket?

I think it is best if you just play it by ear. Don't pre-book any tours until you get here and you can check out the weather day by day.

London, United...
Level Contributor
13,153 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Does it rain in May-June in Phuket?

'Basically what I wanted to know is that will the sea activities be on in May end - June first week?'

How do you expect people to know the weather on that exact week ??

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
38,815 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Does it rain in May-June in Phuket?

Irrespective of whether it is raining or not the sea is very rough and certain beaches are VERY dangerous, especially Karon Beach. Despite red flag warnings and lifeguards people ignore them with loss of life every year. So you should be particularly careful about swimming and water sports especially with children.

Tours still go to Phi Phi Island and to Phang Nga Bay which is where James Bond Island is located and which you reach by speedboat or larger boat but not by canoe. Sea canoes is a separate activity that you can enjoy as part of a tour.

As the previous poster recommended though because the weather is variable you should wait until you are there and see what the weather and especially ocean conditions are like.

Another word of warning. It is tempting, especially with a family group, to look for th cheapest tour. However, safety rather than price should decide which operator and you should go with respected and reliable operators with a good safety record like Phuket Sail Tours Or Simba Tours.

Thunderstorms in May/June are "usually" short, even when they are heavy, and in the afternoon, and soon dry up but weather patterns are changing everywhere so what has been usual before is not certain to be usual in the future.

Mumbai
Level Contributor
60 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Does it rain in May-June in Phuket?

Thanks a lot Arandora. That was quite helpful!

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
1,615 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Does it rain in May-June in Phuket?

And in support of what Arandora said...last June we were in Phuket and the weather was very much wet, wet, wet. Almost non-stop rain for the first 5 days of our trip. Based on that unprecedented bad luck, i feel quite sure it couldn't possibly be as bad when we return next month ;)