We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 days on the Island first week of May, Phuket or Samui?

New York City, New...
7 posts
Save Topic
4 days on the Island first week of May, Phuket or Samui?

Hi Everyone,

Im planning a trip to Thailand. I already have Bangkok and Chiang Mai covered and the last leg of the trip will be a little more relaxing in the islands. I've read a lot about the weather in May and it has swayed me to Koh Samui. I want to really experience Thailand the right way since this will most likely be my only opportunity.

I know nothing is a sure bet, but how bad can the weather get in Phuket for the first week of May? Would I really be missing out if I went to Samui over Phuket?

If you think we should go to Koh Samui, which beach/area do you recommend for a young couple from NYC? Prefer more relaxing/great views over the "happening" area.

Thanks for your help!

1. Re: 4 days on the Island first week of May, Phuket or Samui?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 17 April 2014, 18:44
Edited: 17 April 2014, 18:44
Bangkok
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 4 days on the Island first week of May, Phuket or Samui?

Sorry that was me removing, far too many typos :)

May is 'roughly' when the season changes, it is not a busy time so you can be flexible without worry.

I think the choice comes down to your dream / vision.

Koh Samui has lots more 'right on the beach' places, cabana style bungalow / cabin resorts varying from inexpensive to luxury, plus lots of low rise hotels and resorts, but if your 'dream' is stepping from your beach bungalow / cabin onto the sand and the sea Koh Samui has far more of that, more 'beachy style' yet those places can be close to restaurants / bars etc. Those can range from inexpensive to high end luxury.

Phuket has nice beaches but in general, the busiest beaches are very built up concrete, quieter beaches can be away from busier areas. Most accommodations are not on the beach, there are of course lots of places that are right on the beach but on Koh Samui you get plenty and they can be close to busy or quite areas as you wish.

For a young couple looking for tropical island swaying palm tree style beaches I woulkd say Koh Samui.

Do appreciate you have posted on the Phuket forum so you will get many Phuket lovers opinions, likewise had you posted on the Koh Samui forum you would get lots who enjoy Koh Samui. They suit people in different ways :)

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,907 posts
371 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 4 days on the Island first week of May, Phuket or Samui?

Hi

April / May is when the seasons are changing, when the prevailing [monsoon] winds change. You are as much at risk of rain in Samui as you will in Phuket at that time of year. As you say you can't say with any certainty what will happen next week, let along the first week of May!!

Whilst Patong is a pretty full on 'happening' place on Phuket, however there are lots of quieter areas. Similarly, the northern area of Chaweng is like a mini Patong, with the rest of the 5km beach being more relaxed, very nice with a good mix of shops, bars and restaurant. Again there are also much quieter area.

Phuket has more larger international hotels, whilst Samui has smaller boutique hotels. However you are around 20 years to late is you want a little bungalow on the beach. There many hotels on the beach edge, and the rooms / bungalows tend to command the higher prices!

As you seem more set on Samui, I would opt for the southern end of Samui. The southern end is from around the Banana Sea Fan area southward.

Happy planning.

4. Re: 4 days on the Island first week of May, Phuket or Samui?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 19 April 2015, 06:15