We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Timers (Couple) to Thailand! Eats & Stays!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Topic
First Timers (Couple) to Thailand! Eats & Stays!

Hey Everyone,

I have been searching around the forum a fair bit now but alot of what im looking for is fairly old. My Girlfriend and I have booked our 5 year Anniversary trip to Phuket. I would like to just ask where people would recommend where to stay? also, I hear alot of people say to eat off the street as better value for money just wondering on peoples thoughts as I dont really want to get sick for my duration of the trip.

So, Just to explain a little more about us, We are not very intrigued with the whole Nightclub theme, we may visit one night but not massively interested. We would be doing more sight seeing and experiencing the culture and just wanting to have fun and enjoy ourselves, do some shopping and visit maybe phi phi island or any other islands people would recommend. For accommodation id be happy to pay roughly $30,000 baht for the 7 nights we are there, would that be reasonable?

Anyone recommend some other things we could do ? or see?

Thanks in Advance! :D

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,426 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Timers (Couple) to Thailand! Eats & Stays!

Hi

Crikey that is a budget and a half - is that AU$? That is nearly 900,000thb, or a huge budget per night for a hotel!!. Even if that includes flights, you have a mega budget there.

You don't say what time of year you are travelling. The prices can vary by 3-5x depending on what time of year. Same with things like trips to Phi Phi islands. The trip can be a horror crossing if the sea is rough, as it is open water. I would opt for a trip with one of the better [and safer] providers like Phuket Sail Tours, who do speedboat trips to both Phi Phi and Phang Nga Bay, which are worth doing.

Everyone will have an opinion about what to do, I know I have my must dos and must avoids; whereas others must dos might be might must avoids etc. So in the Phuket forum look at the green banner at the top of this page and check out the ‘Travel Guide’ [in the MORE tab] and ‘Things To Do’ tab [ tripadvisor.co.uk/Attractions-g293920-Activi… ] which list lots of pointers of what to see and where to go as well as other information like restaurants, and Hotels tab [ tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotels-g293920-Phuket-Hote… ] where you see the full range of hotels / apartment rental / B&Bs etc for that area, see what appeals to your actually budget / style / requirements and you can also look at nearby hotels on a map, as well as read recent reviews

then on the right check out FAQs / top questions about . . . . . .

--------------------------->

Everyone forgets or misses the Green Banner and the Top or Frequently Asked Questions/FAQs [especially if using smart phone / tablets / tablets], which are packed with lots of really great information about lots of really useful information!! If you are accessing TA via the smart phone / tablet app’ you won’t see the Green Banner or FAQs in the normal app view on your phone, so suggest that you view the app it as full site mode / desk top view; or just use a laptop or pc to enjoy the information that has been collected. The Top Questions / FAQs ---> are on the right of all forum pages, you may have to click on ‘show more’ to reveal the full list!

Also read JBR / just back reports / trip reports etc or search and read some of the questions already posted in this forum. Lots of really useful information about already posted.

Happy planning!

ireland
Level Contributor
37 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Timers (Couple) to Thailand! Eats & Stays!

Hi,

That sounds like just what we were looking for in a holiday! We have chose to stay in Mandarava Resort. We aren't travelling until the start of May so I can't tell you exactly what it is like but the reviews on TA are very good.

We chose this hotel as we didn't want to be in Patong but didn't want to be too far away. We wanted the option of going there at night at least once but also to have restaurants & bars in the vicinity of the hotel (at Karon).

Although the hotel isn't on the beach the swimming pools look lovely so this didn't matter so much for us.

I hope this helps,

Orla

Mindarie, Australia
Level Contributor
956 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First Timers (Couple) to Thailand! Eats & Stays!

that works out to around $125 AUD per night pretty reasonable but you also might find some pay stay deals at that time to make your accommodation a bit cheaper more to spend on cocktails and shopping LOL we like staying south end of patong at the patong merlin approx 3 star but the rooms are clean and the gardens and choice of pools are great only about a 10 minutes walk to Jungceylon shopping centre and bangla road which is fun to go to for one night and watch the world go by

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
14 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: First Timers (Couple) to Thailand! Eats & Stays!

Thank you to everyone for their help and replies, I should have been a little more clear in saying that we are looking to spend 30,000Baht for the 7 nights we are there in total! It would be nice to be a able afford 1000AUD a day for accom ahah.

I jumped off the mobile site and decided to have check out the website on the PC and yes I have definitely missed alot of things on here that have helped alot more in understanding.

My girlfriend and I, are beginning to learn to speak some thai so we can atleast greet people and thank them etc.

5. Re: First Timers (Couple) to Thailand! Eats & Stays!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 April 2015, 05:15