We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

phuket

Melbourne, Australia
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
phuket

Hi guys im heading to phuket on June 9 for 2 weeks with my wife just wondering if $5000 aus would be enough to for my wife and I to dine out each night and have a few drinks! Also how much is a driver for a day and hows the weather this time of year my wife wants to do some tanning! Last thing a rough Guide on how much to leave for tips thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: phuket

Hi 1blackprince, I'm going in a couple of months and have read a lot of posts on this forum. It seems most people say AU$100=$150 will get you by each day, maybe more if you go shopping or do tours.

I have got quotes from 5 drivers and they're all about 1800baht for a full day (8hrs) tour.

I don't know about the weather, but apparently tipping isn't customary or mandatory. Many people say they leave a small tip 20-100baht if they like the service they received.

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,562 posts
349 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: phuket

Hi

AU$5000?

That is plenty to give you a fabulous holiday!

A driver will be anything from 1000-2000tbh to see the popular sights.

Highly possible the weather might not be as fabulous, but you just don't know.

Tipping not expected!

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,091 posts
84 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: phuket

Agreed, 5K is plenty for 2 weeks, when you consider an evening meal and drinks for 2 can be as cheap as 500 Baht.

Cheers, Pete

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
5,701 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: phuket

You will be lucky to spend half of that. Even at $200 a day you will come back with money.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,402 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: phuket

We take that much for a family of 4 and usually come home with money.

6. Re: phuket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum posting guidelines with prohibiting self-promotional advertising or solicitation.

We ask all of our members to keep their forum messages free of self-promoting advertisements or solicitation of any kind - members affiliated with any tourism-related business should not include commercial contact information or URLs in their forum messages.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 May 2014, 12:40
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
40,782 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: phuket

Self-advertising not allowed on TA.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
47 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: phuket

Hi there you have a big budget which is probably more than enough.

We left Phuket last month as a family of 5 and in 11 days we prob spent between $2600-$3000.

We took $2000 au cash and changed it there as the rate was 30 thb to 1 aud most days.

I kept $500 au as we went to Hong Kong also so just pulled out cash as I needed it.

We hired a driver for 1200 thb for 6 hrs and I think eachaddadditional hour was 200 baht. The company is Thailand Cooperative and our drivers name was Mike. Great company and Mike is an absolute gem.

We did tours and heaps of shopping etc and drinks are dirt cheap eg singha beer was 32 baht at 7 eleven and cocktails outside our resort started from 100 baht which was $3.30

The weather for us was absolutely perfect, extremely humid like North Qld and our tans are only just starting to fade so your wife will definitely come back tanned!

May is apparently one of the wettest montus but in the 12 days we were there it rained on 3 separate days for about 5-10 mins at a time sporadically.

Have a great time

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,374 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: phuket

As the others have said $5000 is heaps, you will be very hard pushed to spend anywhere near that much. Which means you you can have one fantastic holiday and not worry about what you do and if you can afford it. And bring home change.

Weather could be a mixed bag, but it will be hot. Tell you wife she will get burnt there under cloud cover so dont wait for the sun to be out to grab a deck chair by the pool with a cocktail or two :)

As said tipping is not expected, but if you choose to 50-100b is plenty. I like to tip the cleaning staff on our last day if they have done a good job. If I get a super massage I may tip, but again better to do on last massage cause if you have the same person each time once you have tipped once, you sorta feel like you have to keep doing it

Checkout Cathy and Garys Travel Pages ( google it) to give you the heads up on what you should be paying for stuff, otherwise you will end up spending way more than necessary

Michelle

10. Re: phuket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 June 2015, 07:16