We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Back Home from Phuket

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
83 reviews
Save Topic
Back Home from Phuket

Hi all,

I was not going to write a JBR this time as we were only there for 8 nights this time but we packed so much into our 12 trip to Thailand I thought we should share.

Flew Air Asia again and I have to admit we would not be able to visit Thailand sometimes twice a year if it was not for them, Jane books 12 months in advance to get the cheap air fares and its worth the wait. The worst part of the trip is the 5 hour stop over at KL LCCT airport but thankfully the new LCCT airport opens next month in KL and the pics look awesome.

Arrived to Phuket at 9.10 Pm on 18 April (good Friday) with our besty’s Marty & Ruth, I have never seen so many people at the immigration counters, there must have been 1000 people there and it took 45 minutes to get through. We walked outside and found Ronnie waiting for us with our hire car, Isuzu D Max twin cab 4x4 turbo diesel ute with a hard canopy, awesome vehicle to get around in and not costly at all. A 30 minute run back to the Bliss Hotel parked the car, checked in, got something to eat from one of the carts outside then a quick drink or 2 and off to bed.

After a lovely breakfast we hit the streets and Jinda was our first target, I always buy all my clothes from them and Keng and Mrs Jinda are always so happy to see us. The rest of the day we caught up with some Thai friends and back to the Hotel for a swim and a rest. That night we jumped in the car and went to Sabai Corner for Entree’s, pre-dinner drinks and a magnificent sunset, its still our favourite spot to watch the sun go down. We were not very hungry so we headed back to Patong and had dinner and more drinks at You & Me next to O Top. Another great day in paradise.

Had a lazy day Sunday with Lunch at Sweets and dinner at Chez Bernards, this was always our favourite but it went downhill for a year but I am pleased to say its back to good again. Went to the Tattoo bar but Wat & Bee were not there so we kept going back to the Bliss for some night caps.

Monday we set off early on a mini road trip to Krabi, (Ao Nang) and arrived around 11am, checked into the Mecure Devanna and what a beautiful hotel it was with one of the nicest pools I have ever seen. The pool meanders its way through behind all the rooms with some having absolute water entry’s from the balcony, a great spot to spend a couple of hours so we did. Hit the shops and did not buy anything as the prices were much higher than Phuket. Went to the Last Fisherman’s bar for drinks and sunset. This place is just a great place to chillaxe after a long day traveling, thanks Cathy for telling us about this a couple of years ago. Dinner at Tom Yam in the heart of town on the roof top overlooking to ocean but it was so hot up there we went down stairs and sat under a fan, this trip to Thailand was the hottest weather we have experienced, some nights still 32 at midnight. A foot massage on the way home was a great way to end the day.

Next morning after a swim we had an American breaky for 150B outside the hotel and it was lovely, checkout was not till 1pm but we decided to drive to Kao Lak for a look before heading home. We have done this trip before and the GPS takes you through a windy Jungle road for around 35 Klm’s and it’s the most spectacular country side and Jungle and well worth the drive if anyone’s considering it. Arrived at Kao Lak around Lunchtime and had a wonder along the beach before Lunch across the road near the pharmacy, not sure on the name but they have a women’s clothing shop attached, it had absolutely beautiful Thai food and lovely staff. Back to the car and back to Patong for the evening.

Now I have to say the road works going on, on the main road into Phuket Town are horrendously poorly thought out at we sat at Tesco trying to turn right for 40 minutes, they are building an underpass to lighten the traffic load at the intersection, then the same thing 2 klms down at Central Festival another underpass, knowing the Thais it will take a couple of years to do this. Once we were back to the hotel it was a swim a few cocktails and off to Nicky’s for Dinner.

The Bliss Hotel has the cheapest cocktails in Patong Beach 100B happy Hour all day every day so after few Long Island Iced Teas, I was ready for dinner. The only western meal I have in Phuket is at Nicky’s Handlebar, well sort of, it’s a Penang Curry Pizza and if you love it hot like I do ask for it Spicy it will blow your mind, best Pizza in Phuket. Caught up with Nicky briefly but unfortunately Kai was nor there as his Father had passed away and he was back home with the family. A Tuk Tuk home and a well-earned massage before bed.

After an early morning swim and breaky we headed off to Jungceylon for a shop then back to O top for some more shopping, well Jane and Ruth Shopped Marty and I sat at the Quokka bar with the Manager Apple and had a few drinks. It’s so relaxing there I could have stayed all day but back to the hotel and off to sweets for Lunch, Sweets is a special place for us as it’s the first restaurant we ate in after arriving in Phuket for the first time in 2005, our 1st meal was 500B for the 4 of us back then including drinks. Not much has changed but the service, staff and food are still excellent, it’s owned by an expat Aussie Wal Brown and he sure does run the place well. Dinner that night was Jane’s choice and she wanted seafood so after a quick walk up Rat U Thit road 300m past Bang La road we stopped at Yo Yo Seafood, they were not too pushy and their prices were good so in we went. It was by far the best seafood we have ever had in Phuket, cooked how we wanted it and cooked to perfection, for the 2 of us had a White Snapper (Barramundi)fried with garlic and ginger A dozen king prawns BBQ-ed, seafood fried rice and a couple of drinks for 900 Baht by Phuket standards that’s a cheap price when some of the prices quoted on Beach road are 230B per 100 grams. We spoke to the manager and she said they pride themselves on good quality fresh seafood at good prices, it’s a busy restaurant but well worth the wait.

Next day was our last full day in Phuket so we went back to Jinda for some last minute shopping, off to O top for more shopping, (drinks for Marty and i) and another massage and relax by the pool till dinner time. That night off to our favorite Restaurant “Natural” in Phuket town, this place is amazing and the food and decor is just sensational, we had Spicy Crispy pork belly with deep fried Thai basil, Mushroom noodles in a Thai sauce, Pad siew yu, Fried rice, fish cakes, Crab balls etc etc and it was all sensational as it always is. Just love this place. Getting there was a challenge with the road works but worth the effort. Then back to Patong for a party at the Quokka Bar, we caught up with the owner Tak and all the girls and had a great night with the music pumping for our last night in Paradise.

The following morning we had a leisurely breaky then checked out, booked our rooms for next year at a great price, then took the car back to Ronnie and back to the airport for the long trip home.

Phuket and Patong Beach for that matter never ceases to amaze me, it’s so in your face, exciting and we love it warts and all, it was another sensational trip and we are counting down again till next April as Jane has got more cheap flights from Air Asia so with our 2 sons in tow another adventure awaits with a road trip again.

Cheers, Pete

Norfolk, United...
Destination Expert
for Chaweng, Ko Samui
Level Contributor
36,107 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Back Home from Phuket

Great read, was there with you about loving Patong, warts and all!

Our sort of holiday!

Thanks!

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Patong
Level Contributor
4,347 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Back Home from Phuket

Great report Pete you certainly fitted a lot in

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Back Home from Phuket

Great to hear about your holiday.....gee I am going to miss Thailand this year

Cheers Goody

Edited: 02 May 2014, 06:25
South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,874 posts
417 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Back Home from Phuket

Fantastic report Pete, we also hit the crowds at Immigration, we have never seen it like this before and would easily have been 1000 people lined up, friends said it took them 2.5 hrs to get through. Gary & I ended up in the Visa on Arrival line, paid 100baht each and got through in minutes lol.

Cathy

Phuket, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Kata Beach, Karon
Level Contributor
3,945 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Back Home from Phuket

Great trip report and glad you enjoyed yourself again Peter.

Unlike you, we were lucky coming in from KL the other day, we got through immigration within less than 10 minutes.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
158 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Back Home from Phuket

Hi Cathy, do you think it's worth paying the 100baht for the visa (as in time spent in queues) rather than using the normal immigration line. Especially if visitor numbers are getting larger.

Sorry for hijacking your post Peter.

Thanks

Yzerfontein, South...
Level Contributor
311 posts
63 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Back Home from Phuket

Thanks for posting. Enjoyed reading your trip report - until next time again!

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,539 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Back Home from Phuket

Wow you need a holiday to recover from your holiday. You sure packed a lot in.

Linda

Brisbane, Australia
Destination Expert
for Phuket
Level Contributor
2,079 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Back Home from Phuket

Thanks everyone,

Cathy we though of changing to that line as it was moving fast, Chantalle you were so lucky, Brett N 100 Baht is $3.00 Aussie so it would be no great loss and certainly a faster way through, we always have some Thai baht on us so we will do that if it happens again.

Cheers, Pete

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
265 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Back Home from Phuket

Sounds like a great trip we leave next week first time to Thailand-Phuket can't wait!